Your packing & general liveaboarding tips for upcoming Raja Ampat LoB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conservatively 4 beers a night, over 11 nights, charging bule prices of 3.5 euros a beer - not hard to spot a rort.

Here is what I would pack:

3. A knife for those trigger fishes.. they feed on coral, so can hurt when they bite.

For those divers not in the know, the Queen Trigger fish may come for you if she's got a nest. The nest is generally on the sea floor and is a circle of rubble to our eyes. The trigger's zone of attack is a cone shape, small end at the nest and getting progressively bigger towards the surface.

Rather than attempt to stab one coming for you, get out of the cone zone!
Keep an eye out so that you don't wander into a cone zone.

If the trigger isn't protecting a nest, you should have nothing to fear.

@SeaWarden A PLB is interesting but I’m hearing mixed things about its utility in the region (not to mention, quite expensive).

Also, if a PLB, I am getting mixed information about where to register it. I’m a US citizen living in Australia. In any emergency I’d want to be returned to my home/local services in Australia, but a lot of sites say to buy and register in your country of citizenship. Hard to know if that’s just because they don’t deal with expats or not...

Also, if a PLB, I am getting mixed information about where to register it. I’m a US citizen living in Australia. In any emergency I’d want to be returned to my home/local services in Australia, but a lot of sites say to buy and register in your country of citizenship. Hard to know if that’s just because they don’t deal with expats or not...

Buy it in Autralia & register it there.

Here’s mine, including PAB. All fits in my BCD pocket. I bought the PLB1,~ $225 a couple years ago & its 24-hour battery life is guaranteed for 7 years ($32/yr) I think that’s a good investment for my peace of mind.

53DCB373-0734-4A15-93E8-E502B1F3008C.jpeg

Conservatively 4 beers a night, over 11 nights, charging bule prices of 3.5 euros a beer - not hard to spot a rort.

Which boat are you going on?

I can't recall the price of Bintang on board but wine is expensive compared to home. Regardless, for me, it's easier just to accept the price than schlepping wine across the world and aboard or even buying at duty free.

Some liveaboards offer a drink or two with dinner. Make friends with the teetotalers and they'll give you their share :wink:

I have booked a liveaboard to Raja in 2020, the boat allows BYO wine and spirits, I'm thinking of skirting the rules and BYO beer as I don't fancy the extortionate prices they are charging!

Anyone had any experience of this? Don't mind keeping it in my cabin and only chilling what's required for the evening in the kitchen fridge...

It’s probably not worth the hassle and might be exorbitant compared to local prices but not to US or European prices and as someone else mentioned I believe the crew makes money off the drinks and snacks on many of the boats so that could be a little awkward.

OK, now a question about luggage: I see a few folks saying "absolutely no hard sided luggage" and "don't bring suitcases" (though no restriction is mentioned by the folks at Blue Manta). I only own either check-in size soft-sided suitcases, or a hard-sided carryon bag.

Given the list of dive stuff I need to buy for this trip (need or want? heh :D), I'd like to avoid also adding the expense of new luggage or duffels (something that would be a cheap roller duffel on Amazon US is about 3x more expensive here in Australia). Is it really not possible to bring a hard-sided carryon, or a soft-sided larger luggage? If it helps, I snagged myself a solo occupancy, so I hopefully won't be infringing on a bunkmate's space :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom