Your review wanted - St.John, USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to St.John in Christmas holidays and looking for the dive shop.
Anyone dove with the following dive opparations recently?
Please give me your review. Thanks !!!!

Low Key Watersports

Cruz Bay Watersports

Chris Sawyer Diving

any other dive shops recommened ?

I got a private message from a very kind diver who didnt want to talk down in public.
And i am leaning toward to Chris Sawyer.

Still waiting for your reviews.
Thanks !!!

divegirl777

Bottom-line is 'it depends.' I've got about 50 dives in with Cruz Bay Watersports and about the same with Low Key, and got my Rescue Diver certification w/ Low Key in 2008.

Cruz Bay Watersports (known for their red shirts, decent boat, and arrogant attitude of their towelboys on the island) is a huge operation that is primarily based at the Westin Hotel in Chocolate Hole. The dive boat, as of Spring 2008, operates from a dock at that hotel. They see significant turnover in their staff, reportedly because the organization doesn't treat their staff very well. Consequently most of their staff appears to have the attitude that they have better things to do. However, if you're going to the island, don't mind strictly 'beginner' dives, and are staying at the Westin - ask for Charlie... he'll take care of you.

Low Key is based in Cruz Bay and their attitude is extremely 'low key.' Their ops director, Ellen W. was fantastic to work with, and gave us a great deal on a package dive. (In fairness - they all do that) but LK was more communicative. They also seem like more of a 'family' - including the irrascible owner of the company. They actually did take us on an 'advanced dive' (it was truly hard core) and took us most of the way around the island to an amazing site another day and didn't treat us like children or tourists. Further, their dive shop is right near 'The Beach Bar,' a great place for a post-dive burger and beer (and live music later at night). Their gear is on par with CBW but the staff appears to be much happier and that atmosphere makes the dives much more enjoyable.

I have never gone on a Chris Sawyer dive, all I can say is that it appears to be a much more bare-bones operation.

I also want to strongly recommend taking one of the provided trips out to the HMS Rhone during your stay. I've been twice, and its one of the better ship wrecks that I've gone through. I've done it both times through Low Key. Every time I went to do it through CBW, it was cancelled due to non-interest by its primarily resort-based traffic.

I have used both Low Key & Cruz Bay Watersports and they both do a good job but the dives are usually timed and they go to all the basic dive spots. I used Downunder watersports, downunderstjohn.com this past july and they were by far one of the best dive ops I have ever met. Great people , they dive your air consumption and will take you to some of the lesser used spots around the islands. Well worth checking out. In any event you should have a great time, St John has some great diving, enjoy.

Rob

We dove with Cruz Bay Watersports when we were newbie divers 4 yrs ago and found them to be professional and courteous. Charlie was one of the DMs and is easy to work with.

Regarding the Wreck of the Rhone, here is a post about the wreck I wrote last yr: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/208262-140th-anniversary-wreck-rhone.html

I have some photo albums of the Rhone on the link below.

all the best, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom