Your scuba set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kentucky Quarries 78F - 45F

SP KnightHawk
SP Mk25/190/190octo
Steel 72
Tusa Visualator (underrated mask)
SP JetFins
Aqualung 7mm / Mares 5-4-3mm
Oceanic 180NX Wrist

I dive only in relatively warm water so....

Suite - 2 piece 5mm Mares suite
Lycra - 2 Mares short sleeves
BCD - Zeagle NightRunner
Regulator - Apex XTX 200
Computer - Suunto D9
Fins - Mares Avanti Quattro
Mask - Tusa Liberator
Snorkel - don't know...I just found it on a dive
booties - 3mm pinnacle....really really really old ones

I love all of my great except for luke warm feeling about my regulator...I expected more. I think that next time I'll go for a SP setup.

I have 3mm and 7mm Akona Wetsuits depending on if I'm diving home (usually the 7mm unless I'm haning out with an OW class) the 3mm is mostly for Florida diving

Dive Rite transplate with a Venture wing

Zeagle DS-IV primary Envoy secondary

Seavision Masks (black with the yellow lenses for dark quarry diving, blue with the magenta lenses for reef diving)

XS-Scuba folding snorkel (kept in a pocket)

UK lights

Mares Avanti Quattro fins

Neosport hoods and gloves (depending on cold or warm diving)

Dive Rite reel

safety sausage

Worthington Hp-119 cylinders

Luxfer 40cf pony (with the Dive Rite hardware and an Aeris reg forget the model at the moment)

Canon A80 camera with a Canon housing

I guess that's it!

Most of my diving is in one of two quarries in Pennsylvania, I get to the Keys usually once every year and go nuts down there.

The waters here typically vary between 11C (~50F) and 16C (~60F).

DSS Rig - SS plate with a 26# Torus wing.
Scubapro Mk17/G250V with an R295 as an octo.
Mares X-Vision mask.
Mares Avanti 3X fins.
Suunto Vytec computer.
Zero (local company) two piece, double seal wetsuit.
I usually dive with a Faber 12L (~100cf) steel cylinder but, as I borrow them from my local club, the cylinder can vary.

Not coincidentally the equipment I most enjoy are the latest pieces which I bought because they were the ones I took my time to research and investigate before buying.

One of these is my bp/w which I absolutely ADORE. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and DSS, to anyone. A bp/w doesn't necessarily suit everyone and I respect that but I really like the fact that I can take 3kgs (~6 lbs) off my belt, that the harness simply disappears and my chest is totally uncluttered, that the tank is rock solid on my back (I HATED how much it used to shift with a jacket style BCD) and the wing is so streamlined.

I barely notice that my reg is even there it breathes so smoothly and effortlessly. You do pay a premium for SP gear but for me the extra cost is worth it for gear which I know will last me decades.

I really like my Vytec, even though it was maybe the second piece of equipment I ever bought. The screen is large, easy to read, and there are lots of subtle features like the ability to change your mix underwater (forgot to change before I hopped in ... oops:lotsalove:) that I really enjoy. Now that I have it on bungee straps using Tobin's mount its even more of a pleasure since it never moves on my arm. I haven't had to readjust my computer even once underwater when I used to have to do it at least once a dive.

The mask is nice but it can tend to leak when I look up. I haven't tried any other fins but I enjoy the power from the Avanti. That doesn't stop me being jealous whenever I see Quattros though and I am dying to try a pair of Jets. No matter what fins I use in future though (if I ever change ... the 3X have taken an absolute beating and still work prefectly. They are really robust) they will definitely have spring straps!

Moving back to sanity for a minute....... Do you want listed recreational set-up or beyond recreational set-ups???

Yeah, i didn't realise how many tec divers there were!!! But ah well i guess its not too hard to point out the difference between Recs and Tecs!

Teaching kit
Oceanic Delta 4 w/ FDX 10, Alpha 8 octo, VT3 AI comp. Oceanic Probe LX BCD - this set up is new gettng to try it out this weekend for first time

Non teaching kit
Aqualung Legend LX suprem 1st and 2nd stages, Legend octo, Suunto Cobra. AI comp. Apeks WTX soft harness w/ Apeks 30# wing and Surelock weight system.

Also Henderson 7mm wetsuit, 5mm gold core hood and gloves, Suunto Mosquito comp as backup, oceanic Look mask and snorkle, IST split fins. I like it all haven't had problem with anything. Mostly Midwest diving quarries and lakes, some warm water cayman's and Honduras works well every where.

Yeah, i didn't realise how many tec divers there were!!! But ah well i guess its not too hard to point out the difference between Recs and Tecs!

I have a feeling the back inflate crowd is so vocal on SB, and some times vicious, that the vast majority of jacket BC divers will just lurk on this thread, if they even bother to look.

I thought about replying to that with this; "Yeah, it's not too hard to tell the difference. The Rec's are all laughing, cutting up and having a ball while the Tec's are rigging their gear and studing dive tables" but then I thought better of saying that.

Zeagle Stiletto / DiveRite Transpac w/ Travel wing & Venture wing - the one I pull out depends on my mood.
Atomic B2 Reg
Atomic SS1 Integrated Octo
Atomic Split fins
Atomic SubFrame Mask
Oceanic ProPlus II computer, air integrated (on a retractor)
Wetsuits in 1, 3/2 and 5 mm. By SeaQuest and Henderson

We are warm water wusses!!!! 90% Caribbean.

...and yes I know Tec divers have fun.

Last edited:
Tusa (BCJ-5960) IMPREX PRO CUBIC BC. I am very happy with it.. Its plush and durable.. I prefer back inflate over others... Plenty of stainless rings for attaching things too and you cant discount the value of the included ninja pouch! (mesh bag)

XS Tri Metal reg - Love it. Only issue I would say is that I want the hose to be less rigid.. For that reason I am getting XS miflex hoses next in lieu of a swivel. I feel the swivel has too many possible failure points..

Tusa Xpert Zoom - Enjoy them.. I want some Apollo Bio XTC fins next tho.

I normally dont use any "exposure suits" (Just call it a wetsuit people!) but when the water is chilly (70*ish) then I use an Akona 3mil. Love it. fits right and doesnt have a ton of flashy colors and brands all over it.

Tusa booties with hard sole. I recently replaced my Pinnacle soft rubber sole booties. I was not happy with those. The Tusa are leaps and bounds better!

I have a yellow 6' sausage and an all aluminum reel. Enjoy them and will be practicing more with them.. I can see the advantage of a sausage with an inflator valve instead of one like mine that is open on the bottom.. rather hazzardous at first if you are not careful... VERY careful.

Zeagle Ranger BC
Zeagle Envoy Delux with Zeagle Envoy Octo.
Oceanic Shadow Mask though this has 4 dives on it, I was using a Cressie big eyes, but it just wasn't fitting anymore i think it got stretched out :(
Genesis Response fins.
Cressie Archemidies Dive computer (Archemidies II? I'm not sure at the moment)

Of all the gear I have I love everything to death but my fins. They just feel unresponsive and like Its not giving me as much power as I feel it should. I love my regs, but its harder and harder to find a good honest shop to service them in a timely manner. So far they have all tried to tell me the parts are not free. But they are an absolute pleasure to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom