Your scuba set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travel Rig:
Oxy 18# Razor mated to Ultra Light late
Conshelf XIV primary, secondary and 1st stage
B&G SPG
Dive Rite Nitek+ Computer
Atomic Frameless mask
CA snorkel fins
1mm long sleeve shirt
Speedo long bathing suit

Home waters summer rig:
Oxy 30# Mach V mated to SS plate
Conshelf XIV primary, secondary and 1st stage
B&G SPG
Atomic Frameless mask
SP Jets - Large
CA Booties
3mm full suit
Hooded vest

Home waters winter or deep and cold rig:
Oxy 30# Mach V mated to SS plate w/ weighted STA
Atomic Z-2 primary and 1st stage, Dive Rite 1208 secondary
AL30 pony w/ SP Mk2+ and Conshelf XIV
B&G SPG's
Atomic Frameless mask
SP Jets - X-Large
Pinnacle Merino 6.5mm or Pinncle Evo2 Drysuit

You know, the thing with a thread like this is that a lot of us just haven't tried a wide variety of things.

I currently own three backplates: An Oxycheq stainless steel, an OMS Aluminum, and a DSS Kydex plate. The stainless steel plate is part of my cold water single tank rig. The aluminum plate is for my cold water doubles, and the Kydex does double duty for single and double tanks when I'm traveling. I began life with a back-inflate BC (after training in a jacket in class) but it didn't fit well, and the day I first put on the backplate, I was hooked. I really don't know if I could be as comfortable and happy in any other kind of setup -- the problem is that I have no desire to try.

I have two sets of regulators, one for single tanks, and one for doubles. My single tank setup is an Aqualung Titan LX with an Apeks octopus, and I love the reg and still feel, after three years, that I got very good advice from my original LDS on purchasing it. It was a middle of the road reg in terms of expense, and has performed beautifully at all recreational depths for me, in cold and warm water. This was a good buying decision.

My doubles regs are Scubapro MK25/S600s, and I adore them, and have not yet encountered anything that breathes better. Even used, they were not cheap.

My fins are Jets; as I worked to propel me, double 85s and an Al80 stage bottle around Cove 2 this afternoon, I gave a silent prayer of thanks for stiff rubber fins. One of the things that is EXTREMELY important to me is the ability to move through a dive site and leave it precisely as I found it, and that requires non-silting kicks. The split fins I started with just aren't good for those kicks; I know, I have had to use them since I switched, and learned it is possible to do all the kicks with them. It just isn't fun.

No account of my gear would be complete without mentioning my absolute favorite piece of dive equipment: My Salvo 21W HID light. Canister lights, by themselves, are enough of an argument to switch to a backplate and harness, at least for anybody who dives in low viz on a regular basis. Can lights are a safety feature, and a communications device, as well as a superb way to find well-camouflaged sea life. Salvo makes superb lights, and beyond that, has customer service that is in the stratosphere (right up there with Deep Sea Supply).

I have three wings -- I have a Deep Sea Supply LCD 30 for cold water, single tank diving, and a Deep Outdoors horseshoe doubles wing, which I adore because it is orange (it's also a nice wing, although I had to take the ridiculously long corrugated hose off it). I have a Deep Sea Supply 17lb tropical wing which I haven't used very much, and ought to play with some more, if I ever go anyplace tropical where I don't dive caves :)

I have three dry suits. My first suit was a Mobby's trilam, which has some lovely features, including being the only one of my three suits which is truly self-donning. Unfortunately, the suit has leaked almost constantly from one place or another, the whole time I've owned it, which has earned it the sobriquet of "dampsuit". My second suit was a Diving Concepts compressed neoprene suit, which was a nightmare in the buying (a custom suit that totally didn't work, and was replaced at reduced by still significant cost by another custom suit that still was far from ideal). That suit is warm, for sure, but it is not self-donning (and is in fact difficult to get in and out of) and restricted my mobility enough that I really wasn't very happy diving it.

The third suit is a White's Fusion, and I adore the suit. I dove it all winter, despite the mid-40's temperatures, because I simply couldn't face packing myself into the compressed neoprene suit, when I knew how comfortable the Fusion was. I'm going to have to send it back to White's to have the zipper evaluated, because I appear to have gotten a faulty one (as opposed to my husband and a couple of friends, who really don't have issues with theirs) but any mass manufactured product can have its outliers, and I don't blame the company for this, as long as they take care of it for me. The suit rocks.

So does the Mk3 undergarment from White's. This is a superbly designed undergarment, cut to minimize poof where you don't need the extra fabric, but give you mobility where you DO need it (in the shoulders). It's very warm, and remains so when completely soaked, which I unfortunately know. I did 82 minutes in 50 degree water on Monday in this undergarment. AND it has a rear-end relief zipper, for us ladies who really don't enjoy dragging our sleeves in the restroom floor while trying to cope with the results of immersion diuresis :)

I want an Otter Bay hood, but I don't have one yet.

I have an Aladin Tec 2G computer, which I like a lot. I still miss the display on my Vytec, which was much more old-eyes friendly, but the resettable stopwatch on the Aladin sold me, and the downloading software is MUCH nicer than Suunto's.

My other gear includes a Suunto SK-7 compass in a DSS boot, several assorted spools, a "spreel" (a GREAT gadget), a Halcyon Pathfinder reel (another good gadget), a Halcyon SMB (after trying several other brands), Dive X-tras wetnotes, and an X-scooter.

Too much dive gear, but I really have put together a selection of stuff I really like using. It's taken three years, and way more money than I want to think about, though!

TSandM:
a lot of us just haven't tried a wide variety of things.

What makes you think that? He asked us to, "Please post your diver set up here, but be sure to state WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!" He did not ask us to post all the gear we've ever tried or even all the gear we use sometimes or all the gear we own. I've used lots of gear that I didn't list in my post. Everything from straps bolted to the tank and no BC to horse collar to vest to back inflate to BP/wings, several double hose regs even more single hose regs, force fins, split fins, tupperware fins, Jet fin copies, full foot, open heel, short, medium and long fins, dry suits, wet suits, no suits (I've never worn a dive skin), J snorkels, purge snorkels, no snorkel, purge mask, no purge mask, HUD mask, silicone and rubber masks, modern masks and vintage oval masks. I think you've made an unwarranted assumption.

Oh, Walter, I know that some of you have tried just about everything that's ever been made! But my guess is that most of us have only tried a few things, and that probably a lot of people are still diving the gear they first bought. Actually, I think I'll start a poll about it.

TSandM:
probably a lot of people are still diving the gear they first bought.

Some of it. Same type of BC (I out grew my XS), same type of fins (originals were stolen). I've changed regs (MK10 delivers more air at depth than the Sherwood). My weight belt now has pockets into which I place ½ lb weights. I ditched the purge snorkel for a simple J (I rarely dive with it). I've broken/lost many masks over the years, I replace them with the cheapest one that fits.

I listed the three sets of gear I dive most frequently in the here and now out of the hundrdeds of pieces of dive gear I have and this fourth set below is my newest travel set, travel rig number 4. I cannot restrict myself to just one configuration, not possible for me. This is the only rig I have that you can buy over the counter entirely, much of my gear is either vintage, custom built, one off, homemade or otherwise unique or no longer available, a smorgesboard across the last 45 years of diving.

Aqua Lung Titan LX regulator set (or my custom Phoenix Aqua Master)
Oxy Cheq 18 Mach V
Oxy Mini Plate (9 ounces)
DR weight pouches
Aeries Atomos nitrox computer
Mares Plana full foot fins
Marex X vision mask (may replace with unspecified framless mask)
B&G generic SPG, small (DR this one is I think)
Ceramic line cutter, homemade
Speedo jammer and rash guard
Mini finger spool and small sausage float and signal mirror all in a small net pouch

Possible additions: Dive Rite or Oxy LED main light, Tekna knife (checked baggage only--to be avoided)

Considerations: absolute minimum weight, as a result I may use an Air Buddy instead of an octopus second and as well I might not carry a knife or cutting tool due to travel restrictions. Since the goal is to fit all gear, cloths and personal items in the allowed 1+1 carry on limits and still meet the "typical" resort requirements this set is in a state of flux. It is minimalist inspired with a nod to tradition and function first. I also may carry a custom made "travel" harness, weighs only a few ounces and can be used for simple no BC diving. I also carry my camera rig which took up a lot of my travel allowance and thus my paring down. I also have removed all metal buckles and installed plastic versions and plastic cambands to eliminate weight. I shall test it soon.

N

Working in a Dive Center, plus 40+ years diving has given me the opportunity to try out tons of gear. However, this is what I dive right now. I'm always mixing and matching, so what is here today may not be in a week.
Primary Regulator - Poseidon X-stream 90 duration w/7ft. hose. I love it.
Secondary Regulator - 20 year old Poseidon Odin (Jetstream). Solid and reliable, but tempermental if not adjusted properly.
BCD - Dive Rite TransPac II/Nomad combo - use for teaching, sport diving, traveling and sidemount. Love it
OMS SS Back Plate with 96 LB dual bladder and 1 piece web harness. My old (before back injury) tech BC. It
easily handled twin 130's and 2 deco bottles. I've used it with bungees and without. I no longer use it because of my back injury. I cannot take the weight of twin tanks directly on my spine. Now if I go doubles with stages it's with side mount. The only change I was planning on making was going from the OMS back plate to one of Tobin's (DSS) tall wide units.
Poseidon BeSea - I went to this BCD after my injury. As claimed, it does indeed transfer the weight of the tanks from your shoulder to your hips. However it does not have any way to change the height of the bladder on it's back plate to help adjust trim. It has a lot of excess buoyancy, and I do not like the way the accessories attach to the unit. The attachment points leave a lot of space that can be a line trap. I also never adjusted to the feel of this BC.
Drysuit - Custom OSSystems SARR style Bi-Lam. This suit has given me rock solid performance for many years and didn't break the bank. I use with light and/or heavy Ocean Liners underware. It may not be super high tec, but I've never been cold either.
Fins - Aqua-Lung slingshots - OK I know they are different and EXPENSIVE. I lucked out because I won a set at one of the On The Bottom dive club meetings. I figured I'd try them and if they sucked, I'd e-bay them. Bottom line - they are actually good, with all types of kicks. What can I say?
Mask - Atomic sub frame. I love it.
Snorkel - IF I am wearing one, it's an ancient ScubaPro Son Of A Gun. If it ain't broke, why fix it? However if I do break down and decide to spoil myself, I'd go for one of the new flexible ones that I can place in a small pocket when not using it.
Computer - VR3 Tri Mix computer. I have an earlier model (B & W) and was disappointed when I was told that it's upgradeability was severely limited. This from a company who sold it praising it's upgradrability. As a computer though, it does the job very well. No complaints on that issue. Due to expenses, I'll be keeping this one for awhile, but I am keeping an eye on the new Liquidvision X1. If it's technology works out in a year or two, that's probably what I'll upgrade to.
Canister light - OMS 21 watt HID. I HATE It! This light has never worked right since the day I got it, even with multiple fixes by OMS. They will not replace their defective product unless I pay the wholesale equivalent for a new light to "Upgrade" :<( My suggestion, go Salvo or Greenforce.
That's my current set up for what it's worth.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

My first setup:

Dive Rite Transplate with SS BP and Dive Rite Rec Wing
Dive Rite RG3000 Ice Reg
AL Legend Octo
Oceanic Veo 100NX Comp
Ugly SP Yellow Mask
Black Jet Fins

Still shopping for a Wetsuit

Haven't dove my setup yet so I'll post reviews after I get it wet in the next week or two.

BP/W: Halcyon Eclipse 30lb w/SS Backplate for singles
Halcyon Evolve 40lb w/Al Backplate for Doubles
Regs: 2 Diverite 2500's same reg for primary and backup
Fins: SP Jets with Spring straps
Drysuit: Bare HD Tech Trilam
Wetsuit: Mares tri-elastic 5/3/2
Lights: Salvo 21W HID Can & Salvo 10W HID Can

I like all of my gear my BP/W is no better than anyone else's except I have little H's on mine and I like the fit and feel of their BP. My regs are rugged and simple and breath very easily so I like them. Fin's are great for all types of kick styles. Drysuit it fit me the best so I bought it. Wet suit again it fit the price was right I bought it. Lights are like making you own sunshine under water what else can I say.

Akona 5 mil two piece with hooded vest if needed (wet suit is the next thing to be replaced)
2 mil shorty
Cressi Big Eyes mask (black) with scuba optix lenses
Dacor Integra mask (Clear)
Scubapro Mk25/S555 with Sherwood Magnum bungied around the neck as secondary
Oceanic VEO250 wrist computer
Sunnto compass mounted on homemade nav board
Oceanic PSG
Sherwood Avid BC
Wenoka knife afixed to BC Shoulder stap
Cressi Rhondine fins (black/red)
TUSA gloves and 5 mil boots
Pelican Nemo (8 C cell)
Pelican sabre submersible (backup light)
With exception to the 5 mil wetsuit, I love my gear. I'm always making slight modifications to tailer it to my needs. I'm dropping the console and going with my wrist computer, compass clipped to the bc and my computer. I'll be testing this setup out this weekend at Lake Travis (Austin). Reports are 20 ft + vis and 80 degrees down to 60 ft. My next purchase will be a new 5 mil one pc. suit, probably Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom