• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Your thoughts on our PADI ow cert dives

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Salt Life, May 2, 2012.

1. supergaijin

supergaijin Dive Shop

To add to the hijack, I see more and more AOW students who have never seen a compass. CMAS 1* doesn't include compass work but PADI OW does as a Standard.

2. DiveNav

DiveNav ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thank you for posting this.

As others indicated already, this is not a "typical" OW class experience ... but, more than once, I witnessed situations less than acceptable.

As an example, a couple of weeks ago I was down at our local swimming hole (aka Pacific Ocean) testing a new product we are working on and noticed an OW class that CLEARLY should not have been there; visibility was less than 10ft and the Ocean was not Pacific at all.
    During their exit almost all students got knocked around few times, several of them got dangerously close to the rocks and one of them actually got hurt (slammed against a rock).

Did those OW students pass the class? I don't know ... I was not their instructor.

Did those OW students enjoy their OW class that day? I doubt!

Sometime we should learn to say NO (to the shop, to the students, to our assistants, to ourselves).

Alberto (aka eDiver)

3. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You should report both of them. Nothing can be done about substandard classes if they are not reported. Every one of those skills is listed clearly on the pages of the student's log book. The student is supposed to check off that the skills were done. If you see a skill listed that you didn't do, you should first insist that it be done during the class, and if it isn't, you should report it.

4. dfx

dfx Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Maybe I should have mentioned that those weren't PADI courses (and one was in Europe)....

5. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Yes, it probably would have been a good idea to mention it, since the topic of this thread relates to a failure to follow PADI standards during training.

Karibelle likes this.
  6. MADiveGirl

MADiveGirl Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I had a similar experience - BG and DD is where I did my OW checkout dives back in February, and it was a GREAT location and experience. BG was a little busy at times, but nothing that made poor viz or crazy. We did, however, go into the bell (which I thought was cool as hell) and down to peace rock - the surface was clearly visible from both of those locations and I felt fine about both locations. DD had some spaces where I was a little freaked out, but again, I always knew where the "up" was so it was just more of an occasion of me getting used to a very foreign experience.

This is NOT to discount what the OP posted - that sounds .... horrible. And if I would have had an experience like that for my checkout dives, I'm not sure how I'd feel about the activity. I'm thankful that mine was much, much different.