Your top 10 "Wish List" of critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soo, if we were nice this year maybe Santa will grant our wishes? :)

Here is my list:
1) Humpback
2) Dolphin
3) Manta
4) Monk Seal
5) Whale shark
6) Blue Mandarin Dragonet (found in the Indo-pacific, most beautiful reef fish)
7) Sea horse
8) Lion fish
9) Maxima Clam
10) Neptune

Wow, I feel lucky to have seen a humpback whale (off Lanai Lookout Oahu),
a hammerhead (moku manu), mantas, stingrays, flying gurnards, spinner dolphins, tiger shark, harlequin shrimp, baby cuttlefish, seahorse (!) all North Shore Oahu,
and gray reef sharks, galapagos shark, dragon moray, and monk seal off Kauai.

My wish list still includes whale sharks, an oceanic whitetip, a great white and one can never see too many whales or dolphins.

I'll give up on my whale shark for a dive with Jessica Alba though :)

So what's the difference between an oceanic white tip and a reef white tip?
From Sharks and Rays of Hawai’i
Reef Whitetip: Triaenodon obesus – 5.6’ – Costal found in Indian and Pacific Oceans, “ throughout Hawaiian islands.” Danger Minimal – active nocturnal and in day, will steal speared fish. Gray, slightly flat headed with small white tips on the tops of the first and second dorsal and tail fins.

Oceanic: Carcharhinus longimanus – 11.5’ - Wide ranging pelagic in all oceans, “hangs out mostly around the Big Island.” Danger moderate, can be aggressive, will approach and bump divers. Gray with long white-tipped pectoral fins and a large white-tipped dorsal fin.

we had a long and close encounter with a way-too-nosy Oceanic Whitetip off Kona. Did not know what we were in the water with until we were shopping later and saw a poster rankng the most dengerous sharks...yikes.

Leafy Seadragon
Pygmy Seahorse
Whale Shark
Any whales, only seen pilot whale while in the water. (Seen lots of humpbacks from boats!)
Any dolphins, only seen one while UW and not sure what kind it was
Seal, any kind
Mimic Octopus
Mola Mola
Any kind of billfish
Hammerhead

I'll give up on my whale shark for a dive with Jessica Alba though :)

Got to agree with you on that one! Can I just move 1 thru 5 down and have Jessica as my 1 thur 5? Maybe if I got to the carribean she will be there diving too... I think that will take more then Santa.

Back
Top Bottom