Your Top Three Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread... Top 3 is tough, but here I go... (and depending on my mood, the sequence might change....)

Arabia
Barque sunk in 1888, Tobermory, Ontario
45° 18.723 81° 40.385 (3 miles from my front door!)
The Barque Arabia small DSC_2440.jpg

Browning Wall
Amazing wall, near Pt. Hardy, British Columbia
50° 51.443 127° 39.134 (or so... big wall!)
Browning Shirky  © sm DSC_4658.jpg

Lighthouse Wall, Halfmoon Caye, Belize
The "afternoon" dive, following a trip to the Blue Hole
17° 12.163 87° 32.412
Lighthouse Wall sm ©  DSC_0671.jpg

Great thread... Top 3 is tough, but here I go... (and depending on my mood, the sequence might change....)

Arabia
Barque sunk in 1888, Tobermory, Ontario
45° 18.723 81° 40.385 (3 miles from my front door!)

Arabia almost made my list... Recent dive on the President Coolidge won out, but memories of diving the Arabia back in the early 70's remain vivid. Easily a top 3 dive.

Noels wall, Fiji (Taveuni area)
S Lat 16 43 46
W Long 179 38 39
Why: Large vertical wall for several hundred feet with large soft corals, many fish, good visibility and low current. Nearby Yellow Wall is as good. Preferred over Great White wall due to size and abundant fish.

Cozumel, Punta Sur
N Lat 20 17 42
W Long 87 1 2
Why: Punta Sur- not Devil's Throat. Excellent and large coral formations, Eagle rays and occasional sharks. Less divers.

Bahamas, Runway (shark Arena)
N Lat 24 56 0
W Long 77 29 46
Why: Staging area on sand flats for a local dive op shark dive which we did not use. Many reef sharks and not much else to see.

No photos at hand

Arabia almost made my list... Recent dive on the President Coolidge won out, but memories of diving the Arabia back in the early 70's remain vivid. Easily a top 3 dive.

You should come back! The visibility is so much better now... 100'+ is very common and often more...

Looks like this site has been posted several times on this thread, Browning Wall
Amazing wall, near Pt. Hardy, British Columbia
50° 51.443 127° 39.134 (or so... big wall!)

Looks like this site has been posted several times on this thread, Browning Wall
It's a pretty spectacular place... as long as you aren't a big fan of bare rock.

Basket Browning divers © sm DSC_7862.jpg

Only 3?!?! O.K. Lol, I'll give you 3 and raise you 1. Since the GPS is out on the boat, these are approximate coordinates

1-Cannibal Rock, Horseshoe Bay in South Rinca, Komodo National Park, Indonesia
8° 44' 6'' S 119° 24' 30'' E
This site is famous for its varied and colorful invertebrate life. Rich soft corals abound as well as sea apples and other sea cucumber species. Amongst many surprises are flamboyantly colored nudibranchs, and fire urchins with Coleman shrimp and zebra crabs. The fish life can also be quite good at times with an array of scorpion fishes, schools of red snappers and surgeon, hunting trevally and numerous anthias and blennies. Unusual fishes such as pygmy seahorses, ornate ghost pipefish and many species of frogfish may also be seen. Giant Reef octopus, hawksbill turtles and cuttlefish are a common occurrence. The seamount is so covered in life, it's mind boggling and puts the brain into sensory overload.

Cannibal Rock is a small seamount in well-protected Loh Dasami Bay, between Rinca and Nusa Kode, which allows for easy diving with little current.

2-Batu Bolong, Current City, Komodo National Park, Indonesia
8° 32' 6'' S 119° 36' 54'' E
The top of the reef is covered in colorful corals, invertebrate life and thousands of brilliant reef fish. Along the steep walls in deeper water many large fishes including sharks, napoleon wrasse, giant trevally, dogtooth tuna, and large schools of rainbow runners can be observed on almost every occasion.

Batu Bolong is a tiny rocky outcropping in the strait between Tatawa Kecil and Komodo Island. The reef is undamaged due to strong currents and steep drop-offs. This site is one of the top diving locations in the Park but it can only be dived around slack tide when the current is not too strong.

3-Castel Rock, Gili LawaLaut, Komodo National Park, Indonesia
8° 26' 5'' S 119° 33' 38'' E
Curious batfish as well as schooling barracuda, trevally and mackerels swim at 30-40m depth. White tip, black tips, giant Napolean wrasse and turtles are a daily sight. Dolphins have also been frequently sighted hunting at the site. At approximately 20m depth there is excellent soft coral growth and numerous sea fans that host pygmy seahorses. The top of the rock is a good, calm place to explore during safety stops.

This site usually has excellent visibility but is prone to strong currents. The current usually flows eastwards and is much stronger at the surface than in the deeper water. However, the top of the rock, which is approximately 3 to 4m deep, also offers shelter from the current; hence the name “Castle Rock”
Recommended dive entry point is in blue water approximately 50m up-current from the shallowest point of the reef.

Plus 1 - Hot Rocks, Sangeang, Indonesia
8° 08' 42'' S 119° 6' 28'' E
Dive site off a volcano or rather on the flanks of the volcano. Black sand with yellow areas (sulfur deposits). In places gaseous sulfur is seeping out from the ground, creating an underwater Jacuzzi with a warm sea floor! Further down the slope actual ‘forests’ of black coral bushes – the vibrant, almost fluorescent colors of these bushes, contrasted by the black sand, create an almost surreal, magical atmosphere! Selection of possible animals: barracuda; jacks; pygmy seahorse ‘Bargibanti’ and ‘Denise’; ghost pipefish; leaf scorpion fish; frogfish; Jenkins whiptail ray; long nose hawk fish; nudibranchs galore; etc..

The list could go on and on and on...

Can't wait to see the results!

sorry no GPS or video for mine. But this thread definitely deserves a bump and more input.

#1- Boo Windows, Raja Ampat Indonesia: Dropping in on this site I was blown away by the huge schools of fish, not just a few species but many. Then swimming down the ridge gaining some depth the sea fans are amazing, huge gardens of every color and if you look closely it is pretty easy to spot a Pygmy Seahorse on them, not just one but many. Then as I made my way shallower the soft coral/ hard coral habitat is mindblowing, every color large and small, and all the while the fish schools are getting in the way of seeing the coral! A train of blue fusilers starts to come by and it doesn't seem to stop. at the top of the ridge I'm shooting some video of gigantic sweetlips school and as I start to break through a black tip reef shark comes swimming along. The fish life, the coral habitat's and the topography of this site makes it top notch in my book. Upon surfacing with my buddies who are well traveled divers as well, we all shout and exclaim damn that was fantastic!

#2- Eagle Point, Komodo National Park Indonesia: I would put Cannibal Rock here but during my last trip to Komodo we dove it, then we dove Eagle Point. Cannibal Rock is an amazing site and WAS one of my top sites, Eagle Point now takes it's place. No surface on it is bare from life, the colors are amazing, soft coral, hard coral, seafans, tunicates, it's an explosion of living color. We had a pair of giant frogfish, one painted frogfish, one clown frogfish. It has great topography, loads of fish, great wide angle and macro and is an amazing dive.

#3- Manta Alley, Komodo National Park Indonesia: I put this here cause I've had dives on this site that blew me away. Ain't nothing like hanging around a Manta cleaning station and having Manta's line up and circle just meters away. And on my top dive here hanging in the alley itself with the current running in my face with more manta's than I could count surrounding me, hovering just inches over me ( I'm serious I had to duck multiple times) my grin was so huge I could hardly keep my regulator in my mouth.

Ah geez . . .my life is getting more expensive. Komodo and back to Raja Ampat oh dear . . .need a lottery win here

Back
Top Bottom