Your typical "I'm Coming to the Bahamas and Need Advice" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha-

I will be in the Bahamas in late April for a wedding. Weddings bore me. I'm hoping slink out of the ceremony/reception and stay a bit late and get in some of this diving I've heard so much about. I know it helps to be specific, so I'm interested in shark dives (especially Tiger Beach if possible fro Nassau), Tongue of the Ocean, Stingray City, Dolphins, and maybe a few good reefy shore dives if there are any. Oh, and I'm a poor graduate student at the University of Hawaii and a very capable, adventurous diver, so any tips on doing any of this on the cheap/as shore dives would be greatly appreciated.

Well, let's dig right in here, shall we ??

1 - "on the cheap" ? Probably not gonna happen. Your trip is in April, that gives you plenty of time to plan & save :)
2 - There are 2 dive op's that I know of; Stuart Cove & Custom Aquatic's. Scrap the "beach dive's", and get to know these dive op's. Was at Stuart Cove in June, great place, great dive's including the Shark Adventure, great memories, great staff.
3 - Read through some of the threads in this forum, and this recent one may help, click here.

Before recommending dives and ops we need to know what island you are going to, most likely Grand Bahama or Nassau. As the Bahamians are so fond of saying, the Bahamas are made up of 700 islands and these islands are spread out over a wide area too boot. Stingray City is not in the Bahamas at all but off of Grand Cayman, totally different country.

My apologies for the confusion on Stingray City, Herman. For some reason, the Bahamas brought forth images of stingrays. I'll be in Nassau. Any ideas?

Stingray encounters at black beard's cay I think. (AKA Sandals cay....but the other half of it. I hear they all escaped but are still fed regularly for the amusement of snorkelers....)
You might also try Sean. Home | Explore Scuba Bahamas is the only dive operator located right on Paradise Island, we offer that one of a kind experience.
I believe he has a 24' (or there abouts) Mako and takes charters etc. I've no idea about prices etc. But a PI location might indicate a premium rate.
Stuart's is prolly the best bet.
Hit me up nearer the time for what us locals are up to.
The best place to shore dive is/was clifton pier. by day, i think there's an admission fee. (Like....$3 i'm told) By night, and far better diving, it's unaccessible and we surfaced to the police last time we tried....
Cracking diving tho, if you're up for some grief after.
Good luck!

Tuger Beach is generally done only via liveaboard. Bahama Divers is probably your only other option on Nassau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom