your worst dive experience ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aye matey! I'm a dirty scoundrel.....Stole yer thread!
I'm sure I could dig up some more stories if need be........

LOL I really gotta get off the computer now......

airsix:
Respectfully, Even diving an Al80 in your skivvies you can't maintain perfect buoyancy throughout the whole dive without using your BCD since your tank increases in buoyancy by 6 pounds as you go from full to empty. To end neutral you must start heavy & use your BCD to compensate. You can't just use your lungs to buffer a 6 pound deviation from neutral.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. I know because I do it. I also do it when diving vintage, I have to because I don't have a BC to inflate. It's not all that difficult.

you keep a reserve in your lungs to varying degrees.

I agree it would be tough for somebody wearing LOTS of weight.

Actually, the amount of lead doesn't matter as long as they are neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive, they aren't wearing an exposure suit (or stay fairly shallow or the suit is pretty thin) and their tank isn't a monster.

To complete the hijack, since I kind of starting it, I didn’t really mean to say not using BCD is stupid theory; I was reminded of that bad experience so I typed with rage.
As the matter of fact, as I believed the guy, I adopt this theory for quite sometimes until I realized it’s actually not a sin to use BCD. That’s how bad he put his idea into my mind. I thought, I was a new diver, what do I know, he must be right.

RiverRat, although you are saying that his theory is right and preferable to you, at least, from what I could conclude, you still said that BCD is an option. It’s something different with what that guy told me, to add air into the BCD underwater is completely prohibited and shouldn’t be attempted at any time, even when an fresh OW student was overweight because of new equipment and struggle to keep herself from destroying the coral, he chose to push the diver down, yanked the inflator hose rudely (I was wondering why it never came off) and dumping the air everytime I added it which made my dive profile like a earthquake histogram. I was actually achieving my buoyancy when I added the air, by he preferred to screw everything just to stick to this theory. He should have known better.

Like I said, even though I never dived with him again, I tried to adopt his theory because I thought he was right and there is no other option.
And like what Airsix said, I did a lot of fining to maintain my buoyancy, or I used my lung like hell, I remember taking 6-8 short breath to prevent me from dropping or blew like hell to prevent me being positive. It’s exhausting, and imo, not a relax and good way to enjoy a dive, especially in advanced dive sites, I prefer to concentrate on other things and use BCD as an advantage as why it was invented.

Back to the topic, I was wide-eyed and impressed for the story of previous poster sharing air with two panic divers! Wow, I don’t know how I would react if I was you but I can really see the hilarious side.

To repay the hijack, I contribute another bad experience, but it’s quite nothing compared to others.
On my AOW course, deep dive. We crawled in mud, one feet viz to reach the depth. I don’t remember seeing any fish or any life. It was like in the mud and at one time, viz turned to almost zero and we lost everyone else, I knew if I let go, I’d be lost also, so I held on the instructor no matter what, although I could only feel but not see him. All the time I was worried with my husband who was supposed to be close behind me.

After sometime, we managed to find my husband, but the instructor then disappeared. But I was calm now that I was with my husband, so both of us did the hover and slowly surface, still managed to do the safety stop with feeling, because, yes, rental gauge was broken, compass broken, and one of our air pressure broken. When we surfaced, the guy was all pale and he thought he lost us, he went back few times but couldn’t locate us. We didn’t blame him though, as nobody really ever know how a dive site going to be.

My worst dive experience ever really wasnt all that bad, but it was very frustrating. I was diving off Cozumel on Tormentos Reef. It all started when I first entered the water and waited for my camera to be handed to me. Apparently the divemaster had forgotten that I asked him to hand my camera down. He helped everyone else into the water, who descended immediately to rendevous on the sand flat bottom. By the time the divemaster finally handed my camera to me, everyone else had already met on the bottom and moved over to the reef where they were somewhat out of the current. By the time I hit the bottom, I was a good 50 yards down current from everyone, fighting to get over to the protection of the reef where I could wait for them. I swam diagonally into the current to close the gap and reach the reef, which of course took its toll on me physically as well as on my air supply. Mentally I was frustrated because of the divemasters mistake, and that nobody waited on me.....not even my divebuddy!!! I spent literally the entire dive struggling to rendevous with the other divers, and had no time to relax and take photographs. I traveled a long way and paid a lot of money for that dive.....:shakehead

Back on topic...

1) Diving the Yukon in San Diego in a wet suit. Water was 51, Vis was 6 feet, Depth was 85...I got so cold I called the dive after 15 minutes. Not sure if I didn't actually take a minor "hit" on that one. My buddy and I drove from Orange County to San Diego for a 15 minute dive.

2) Night Dive at Shaws Cove, Laguna. Low vis. Saw a large seal feeding face down in some eel grass. Got closer and figured out it was dead, bloated and swaying in the surge making it look like it was alive. Spent the rest of the dive grossed out over being in the same water with a corpse and wondering what kind of large preditor killed it and where that guy might be....

Jon

first dive with a new dive buddy from work in the mid ninties. i had about 50 dives at that point, so pretty new, and my friend was newer than i was. we were joined by two other coworkers who are women, and who are experienced divers.

we dive monastary beach in carmel california. the first dive goes well, if a little cold in 7mm farmer john wetsuits (water temp around 50F, air a nice 70F). after the dive, my buddy wont take off his wetsuit. its a nice bright day. taking off the suit gives you a chance to dry off and warm up, and if you lay the suit in the sun, it dries and warms as well. not my friend though, he takes a nap in his suit. a couple of attempts to get him to take it off fail, so i assume he knows what he's doing. after all, who am i to tell another adult what to do, especially being a bit of a noob as well.

i didnt realise it, but he gets dehydrated in his suit while taking his nap during the SI on the beach. when we get ready for the next dive, he doesnt help me suit up in favor of helping the other dive team suit up. turns out he is a little immature, and is attracted to the ladies. so he runs around trying to help the the other team suit up, and then i help him get his gear on, by which time he is worn out already and we havent even gotten in the water! at this point im sort of embarassed by his behavior, but again, he is an adult, if he makes a fool of himself, thats up to him.

in the water he is a disaster. isnt paying attention to his location, no buddy skills (ie, is on a solo dive with me chasing after him), and almost gets washed up on a cliff (which he later got mad at me for not preventing. at the time he had swum ahead of me an i was trying to catch up to him).

finally at the end of the dive, he gets tangled in kelp at the surface, and panics while trying to stay at the surface. spits the reg out, mask on forehead, splashing around franticly with no air in his bcd, fighting to stay above water. i catch up to him again, inflate his bcd, hand him his reg, and drag him back to the beach by his tank valve while swimming on our backs.

later he claims i left him for dead. ah, ok, whatever.

never dove with him again. i was actually willing to as he was a friend, and i figured it was just a matter of getting him squared away on a few details (avoiding dehydration, buddy skills, kelp management, and avoidance of creepy dude behavior with female divers/coworkers), but i dont think he dove again.

i took a note in the future to be more aware of my buddies condition. maybe i could have spotted his dehydration based on his actions (napping in his wetsuit in the sun) and his behavior, although he was a sort of goofy guy, so it wasnt that out of charachter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom