YouTube now supports 1080p60 and 720p60!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely but which camera supports even 4:2:2 when recording? If you loose it when you record it doesn't come back later. Currently you need an external recorded through an hdmi stream on most devices that are not pro level otherwise it records at 4:2:0 and there is nothing you can improve. With limited capabilities in camera the best option for me is get the colors right first time and limit correction. I compare my video to those done with much more expensive equipment and lots of grading and I don't see a huge gap to be honest

Upsampling to 4-2-2 or to 4-4-4 does not improve the quality of the video in itself....the improvements come from when you modify the data with color correction, because now you have much larger gradations that record from the changes you make in correcting....the final result is crisp and sharp, and then when encoded to 4-2-0 from a sharp original, the result is much better than encoding from a blotchy and banded 4-2-0 avi or mov that had little room for correction.

As to shooting better, always the goal, but there are so many light to dark gradations in wide angle uw video, that often this is not realistic, if you want beautiful long distance backgrounds...and where video lights dont reach, and ambient light is black to white and a big x factor with rapidly moving marine life.

If the file is blotchy to start it remains such. I have seen the results of different color spaces on raw still files but this starts applying to all intra clips at 100 Mbps. The majority of consumer codec used by cameras to record are not worth any manipulation

If the file is blotchy to start it remains such. I have seen the results of different color spaces on raw still files but this starts applying to all intra clips at 100 Mbps. The majority of consumer codec used by cameras to record are not worth any manipulation

I dont see us as disagreeing here....the way it would be blotchy, is if you attempted to MODIFY the 4-2-0 file from the Canon or Nikon DSLR with white balance or color corecting..because this format has insufficient data points or gradations for clean modification....If the mov file from my Canon 5 D looks crisp, but the color is off, or it is too dark where I am needing ambient light to brighten the shot..then upsampling to 4-2-2 or 4-4-4 gives you the gradations you need to modify the file in the color correction, without a blotchy or banded result--whish is what would happen if you did the same correction in the file with the original h264 codec in the mov or avi wrapper.

With the Canon DSLR you would use magic lantern and shoot camera raw then you can do what you like. If you use a ninja 2 with a camera with clean hdmi you can achieve even better results. All of this is in the realm of semipro video and outside common usage. If you are there most likely you have a YouTube pro account and upload at 50 mbits

You must be joking! :shakehead:

Not at all. I encode videos since 15 years now and I know about codecs. AVCHD 24/25 p at 24 Mbps has the same number of reference frames per second of AVCHD 2.0 progressive so there is no better motion detection or smoothness at all. In fact the data is wasted on prediction and not on real information so the 24/25p footage has more dynamic range and is less subject to posterisation and similar
You need much more than AVCHD to justify double frame rate
AVCHD 2.0 is just marketing hype

AVCHD 2.0 is just marketing hype

AVCHD 2.0 that enables 1080 60p, which is noticeably smoother than 1080 30p is just marketing hype? I'm speechless!
shakehead.gif
I don't have time for this kind of nonsense! Bye!

To Scubaboard members:
AVCHD 1 brought 1080 60i and 1080 30p to the consumer market.
AVCHD 2 implemented 1080 60p for the consumer market and brought 1080 240p to the sub-$10k pro market
XAVC now supports 4K 60p

Here are 1080 240p samples recorded in camera with AVCHD 2 compression from a 2012 NEX-FS700:

[video=vimeo;40369782]http://vimeo.com/40369782[/video]

To Scubaboard members:
AVCHD 1 brought 1080 60i and 1080 30p to the consumer market.
AVCHD 2 implemented 1080 60p for the consumer market and brought 1080 240p to the sub-$10k pro market
XAVC now supports 4K 60p

Here are 1080 240p samples recorded in camera with AVCHD 2 compression from a 2012 NEX-FS700:

[video=vimeo;40369782]http://vimeo.com/40369782[/video]

I have to say...."wow" !
I would love to have this with an underwater housing....though the price point sounds like it would be comparable to a luxury car...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom