Youtube vid - free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will someone explain to me GUE's rationale for keeping the class videos and not releasing them to the students? Seems a bit backwards -- I really think the students would benefit from keeping them after the class.

Will someone explain to me GUE's rationale for keeping the class videos and not releasing them to the students? Seems a bit backwards -- I really think the students would benefit from keeping them after the class.

I think they want to keep it so that students feel comfortable in the class that their mistakes won't be put up on youtube. There's already enough of a perceived barrier to students taking the courses for various reasons -- you'll get even less of the "yeah i've only got 25 dive and i suck, i'll take DIRF to make me a better diver" behavior and even more "gotta get 300 practice dives in before DIRF so i look good on the video" behavior...

What happens in Fundies stays in Fundies!

I understand why they do not want the videos to be seen by anyone other than the students that participate. However, that seems different than not wanting to release them to students.

I suspect if you ask the instructor, there may be "circumstances" in which a student could get copies.

Personally I think the argument is crap. Taking the videos home from the class is a great way to critique yourself and learn.
At school we put all the students' videos up online so they can download and keep forever. Heck they're even set up as a podcast. In this instance, I disagree with GUE.

The problem is by giving them to the students, you may have one student who does not want the video posted up in public. By giving a whole class copies of the video, you can no longer control what is done with it or where it is posted. There are lot of embarrassing moments that get caught on that tape that a lot of people don't want to get out. Just think if the first video posted in this thread was instructor footage that was given to a course, and someone decided to add names, dates and places attached to it. Not very flattering to anyone. The video I posted up was given to us and we agreed to let it be posted up (with only 2 people its pretty easy to control and track). There are mistakes and unflattering moments in it, but nothing too bad and it helps serve as a reminder to everyone of the little things to watch out for.

I've had the option of keeping every class video from my forays. However, my instructor is exiled from the flock...so, perhaps this post is all heresy.

:D

Nice video.. When I saw the alum 80's (name) I knew who that was :D

You guys did real well, congrats on the Tech one!

The problem is by giving them to the students, you may have one student who does not want the video posted up in public. By giving a whole class copies of the video, you can no longer control what is done with it or where it is posted. There are lot of embarrassing moments that get caught on that tape that a lot of people don't want to get out. Just think if the first video posted in this thread was instructor footage that was given to a course, and someone decided to add names, dates and places attached to it. Not very flattering to anyone. The video I posted up was given to us and we agreed to let it be posted up (with only 2 people its pretty easy to control and track). There are mistakes and unflattering moments in it, but nothing too bad and it helps serve as a reminder to everyone of the little things to watch out for.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom