YS-110 strobes use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am having a lot of trouble using my strobes. It seems that no matter what setting I use they overexpose the picture. I am using a DX-1G with 2 YS-110 strobes in manual settings. I set the strobe to TTL, slave on and yet when I set each strobe to min the light still blows the picture out with too much light. I have tried to reduce the amount of light by shutting the aperture down as small as it will go and raising the shutter speed but then it still has a tendency to blow the picture out with too much light.

Any suggestions on how to address this issue?

Regards,

Bill

If you try just one strobe, positioned directly along the lens axis with the camera in SEA&SEA mode what happens? Also do you have the exposure compensation set for like +2 or something like that?
Bill

Hi Bill, I shoot in manual mode and there is no exposure compensation available since you can set your own aperture settings and shutter speed. I haven't tried the sea&sea mode yet but will give it a try on my next trip. I do know that in a point and shoot mode I can get access to the exposure compensation feature. What I did do is shut down the aperture to its smallest setting (I think it was around 9 or 11) and tried to increase the shutter speed to reduce the amount of light reaching the camera's digital sensor but I still get a blown out picture. I also adjusted the strobe to its min setting thus reducing the light output of the strobe.

Regards,

Bill

Just a note Bill, I looked at your web site and your pics and videos are awesome!. I wish I had you and your wife's skills!.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the kind words. I don't have a DX-1G here to play with but what happens if you try to shoot in one of the program modes like S&S mode?
Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't use the TTl-mode since it just doesn't seem to work with the dx-1g.
I went over to using manual mode on the flash (nr.2).
Otherwise you should get yourself the adapter for the fiber optic cable (you can order it for free from you sea&sea retailer) and you should have the flash setup on "full", so all the way up.
Otherwise you get overexposed pics.
I don't have my camera setup with me right now, but if you need further help- don't hesitate asking :)

regards from Germany,
Paula

Thanks Paula, I assume that the adaptor you are talking about is the one that fits over the DX-1G's flash. I do have that adaptor. I am also a little confused by your last suggestion. You say set the flash to 'full' or your pics will be overexposed. Setting the flash to full is the highest setting and flashes the most light. I assume you meant to say 'min' or some other setting.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,
sorry, I forgot to write that if you have the flash set to TTL you have to turn the knob to "FULL" otherwise it tends to overexposes.
And yes- I meant the adaptor to put over the flash. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom