YS- 110alpha died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdave37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I was hoping that someone could help me. I was diving in Malaysia when all of a sudden my strobe died. I was surprised but thought it might have been the batteries. I tried two sets to no avail. initially when I turned the strobe on, I could hear it powering up but the light on the power button would not light. at one point it started working sporadically but this didn't last, even the focus light was flashing at the end before it died. the unit had never been flooded or dropped. I will be heading to Indonesia within two weeks and would definitely like to have a functional strobe. if anyone has any ideas on how to revive the strobe it would be appreciated. I have checked the contacts and they are clean and not bent. If not I will either look at purchasing one in south east Asia or renting if available but I would prefer to avoid this expense. I have contacted my local dive shop and sea and sea but have nut received a response. thanks again for any help or suggestions.

One of my YS-110's died, too. Unlike you, I did flood mine and the inner battery terminals corroded. Even a few drops can cause this. First, make sure the contact tabs on the cover are bent out enough to make good contact. Next, use a fiberglass brush or a piece of folded sandpaper to clean the inner battery contacts and make sure they're making excellent contact. Be sure to blow out any residue and double check your o-ring. If that doesn't fix it, you'll probably have to send it in for repair. Unfortunately, they no longer make the PCB for the YS-110, so mine is a paperweight. The alpha may be repairable, check with the dealer. While mine was in for new contacts, I bought a YS-D1.

One of my YS-110's died, too. Unlike you, I did flood mine and the inner battery terminals corroded. Even a few drops can cause this. First, make sure the contact tabs on the cover are bent out enough to make good contact. Next, use a fiberglass brush or a piece of folded sandpaper to clean the inner battery contacts and make sure they're making excellent contact. Be sure to blow out any residue and double check your o-ring. If that doesn't fix it, you'll probably have to send it in for repair. Unfortunately, they no longer make the PCB for the YS-110, so mine is a paperweight. The alpha may be repairable, check with the dealer. While mine was in for new contacts, I bought a YS-D1.

Hi Larry,

I tried bending out the contacts and cleaning them with alcohol to no avail. When I turn the power on, I hear a humming noise if I put my ear up to the strobe which makes me think the problen is with the board unfortunately. I will probably look to buy another strobe in Bangkok most likely another make as having such an expensive piece of equipment fail so soon leaves me hesitant. I hear good things about Ikelite.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

None will ever be ready to endure this harsh experience.... Hope this will happen to none more.....

Just a quick update, I have been travelling all this time so haven't had a chance to look into it. I sent a message to Sea and Sea in July but never received a response. I just sent another message describing the failure and hope that they will respond this time and that hopefully the strobe can be salvaged. This is quite an expensive piece of equipment and I hope that I don't have to scrap a strobe after taking maybe 1000 shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom