YS-27 vs YS-110 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[FONT=&quot]Please be aware the YS-27 diffuser does not completely cover the face of the strobe. This results in an uneven lighting with a light arc towards the top of the strobe. You can reduce this effect by aim the strobe past the subject. In low light conditions it is very difficult to eliminate this light arc. That said, I have shot some very nice pictures with this strobe and I am sure you will also.[/FONT]

Thanks for the tip. I'll try some different angles with the light and see what happens.

Newbie question: Is a diffuser needed? What happens if you don't use it? I imagine the lighting wuld be brighter and maybe harsher?

Thanks for the tip. I'll try some different angles with the light and see what happens.

Newbie question: Is a diffuser needed? What happens if you don't use it? I imagine the lighting wuld be brighter and maybe harsher?

Somewhat depends on why the diffuser is being used. Brighter and harsher are just a couple of the issues. Narrower beam is another. Hot spots (where the light is brighter due to the shape of the bulb is another. It would also limit where the strobe would be pointed.

I've used strobes where one can or cannot use a diffuser, but the YS 110 appears (for example) to be designed to only be used with one.

I have shot the YS-27 both ways and found you get a softer more evenly light photos with the diffuser. At night a do not use the diffuser because the light arc is so pronounced. Try both ways and let me know your results.

I just upgraded to the YS-110 and am looking forward to my trip next week.

[FONT=&quot]As Puffer Fish mention, buy some large capacity 2700 mAH good quality NiMH rechargeable batteries. In the long run they will save you money but the most important reason is that the strobe cycles significantly faster. No sense missing a shot![/FONT]

I have shot the YS-27 both ways and found you get a softer more evenly light photos with the diffuser. At night a do not use the diffuser because the light arc is so pronounced. Try both ways and let me know your results.

I just upgraded to the YS-110 and am looking forward to my trip next week.

[FONT=&quot]As Puffer Fish mention, buy some large capacity 2700 mAH good quality NiMH rechargeable batteries. In the long run they will save you money but the most important reason is that the strobe cycles significantly faster. No sense missing a shot![/FONT]

The 2900 mAH I am using now have reduced the cycle time by a good 20% over the 2700's I was using...

I'll experiment with the diffuser during day and night shots. I think I have 2700 Energizers and the recycle time is very fast. I was actually surprised even at the highest flash setting how quickly it was available again. Of course this was testing above water, when I'm trying to get shots of moving fish I may be cursing the "slow" recycle time.:D

Were did you buy the 2900 mAH?

I had been using the Sanyo 2700... which was the best battery I could find... but while looking for an extra battery for my camera, I came across these:

JR.com: Power 2000 XP10AA-29 2900 mAh AA Nickel Metal Hydride Rechargeable Batteries in Batteries:

I cannot find them by just going the site, i did a "battery" search.

I thought these would be some over rated battery (the last ones I bought that said they were something like 2800, did not last long and were slower than the Sanyo).

I was surprized at just how good they are. They make the Sanyo seem weak.

I believe you can also get just a 4 pack (10 is a very odd number).

I have been using them for 6 dive trips... so far not had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom