YS-D1 and YS-D2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did all the research and saw there seemed more complaints about D2s than other strobes, but went ahead with the purchase namely because I hoped the odds of getting a bad one were low and outside the reliability issues it had great specs.

Fast forward a few years and on my recent GC trip on day two after putting newly charged batteries in it simply wouldn't power up after turning the knob. In a state of annoyed disbelief that I was going to be down a strobe, I slapped the back of it a little with my palm and suddenly it powered up... and worked the rest of the trip... of course now I suspect it's on borrowed time.

Anyway, maybe I'll try a D2-J when it does die, but might just go inon z330. My ys-3 is a trooper though, if only it were more powerful.

Sometimes the battery contacts get “flattened” on the battery door. Lift them up a bit.

I have three of the J-version YS-D2 strobes. They have been completely unreliable for me. One died on me last Fall, and the retailer sent me a new one. Then two of the three units died on me in Indonesia in December 2018. When I got home, one of those started working again so I only sent one unit back (more than 2 months ago, and I am still waiting for a diagnosis & price to fix). And then on Sunday another unit died on me (maybe the same one that died before and started working again - not sure). Battery compartments have never been wet, o-rings are in excellent condition, and units have not been dropped, mishandled or otherwise damaged. The unit is just a POS.

I have a YS-03 that I was thinking of upgrading to a J version of the YS-D2. I was of the understanding that the J version had resolved a good amount of the made in China version, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't consider another brand. My 03 is good for TTL only and I've experienced some non-firing issues. If not the YS-D2J, then what single strobe alternatives are recommended?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom