YS-D1 or UFL-2 Strobe for XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a little more power, than consider the Inon D2000

The D2000 is basically the same output as the S2000. I like the features of the D2000 (semi-auto based off aperture looks slick) but at the same price as the YS-D1 it is a full stop darker. I emailed SnS but they have not replied to confirm function with the XZ-1, so I may well go with the D2000.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Best bet would be to simply call Reef Photo and talk with them. They sell both Inon and S&S, as well olympus. I've bought several pieces of equipment through them for the past few years and they are great to deal with!

I don't have any XZ-1s left, but we tried it in D-TTL with the YS-D1 and if was fine. No, RC mode does not work with it and the UFL-2 for some reason. Most all of this has been rectified with the excellent, new XZ-2.

Jack

Jack,

I have the XZ-2 and PT-054 housing and am looking for an underwater strobe. I am inclined to get the UCL-2 for how it should work with the XZ-2. Based on tests with my FL36R, the flash control is excellent in the XZ-2. I understand the two battery limitation on recycle times and can live with that for now. Would you go with the UCL-2 or another flash? Is there any word on a new Olympus strobe based on the FL600R?

I use my xz-1 with two Ys 02 strobes, pretty easy to use it takes me no more than three shots to adjust the lighting for a good exposure, I have no problem at all.
I will post next week my pictures from my trip to coiba

Cliff;

No new strobes coming from Olympus. Not sure if RC mode would work with the XZ-2/UFL-2; it didn't with the XZ-1, but they have improved a lot of functions in the new camera.

I think the UFL-2 is very under-powered, large and has power limitations. It is not really an Olympus product; it was developed partially by Inon and Panasonic, many year ago now. The strobe technology has moved way beyond it now, for that kind of money I'd buy a YS-D1 in a minute and have twice the power and very good TTL.

I think shooting these small compacts in manual strobe/manual camera settings really gives the best speed and performance. The camera recycles so much faster.

These were taken with one YS-110a and the XZ-1.

Big Ass Ugly Lingcod by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

Three Spined Shrimp.2 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

Attachments

• 6201380892_6e493d038d_s.jpg
    6201380892_6e493d038d_s.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 231
Thanks for the recommendation Jack. I guess that I would like to have clear understanding of compatibility between an XZ-2 and YS-D1 before investing in a YS-D1 due to the issues with the XZ-1.

Sea & Sea got back to me today and they had just posted new compatibility charts which show that the XZ-2 is fully compatible with the YS-D1 and YS-01. Similar story from Inon, so it seems like Olympus got it right with the XZ-2. Now decisions, decisions...

I ended up going with an Inon D-2000. It arrived today, my first impression is very positive.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom