YS-D1 problems - any solutions or alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I am so terribly disappointed - I purchased a YS-D1 in May last year and had problems with it because the TTL was not working and the focus light would not come on. I returned it. I then got a replacement YS-D1 and the batteries would drain overnight, I was able to take 2 photos on a dive and the strobe would not fire, the batteries were flat. I returned it. I must point out that the two strobes above were within the series that I have read elsewhere on ScubaBoard.com had a problem. I then got a third strobe NOT within this series which worked for a while and then had the same battery draining problem. I returned it.

Apparently the supplier in South Africa contacted Sea and Sea in Japan as he had not been told about the faulty series and he said they'd told him there was no issue with the strobes. How can this be if it is common knowledge on this website and that in the US strobes are being replaced?

I am so disappointed as this is reputed to be the best Sea and Sea strobe ever. It's a great size, theoretically it should be brilliant. But I have had no joy.

I would love to have a perfectly running YS-D1 strobe without faults, but it just does not seem possible.

Can anyone recommend something else (more reliable) from Sea & Sea for me? I use a Canon 600D with an RDX housing, fibre optic cable and shoot 90% macro (60mm lense) and the rest of the time wide angle. How about 2 x YS01s?

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS - I am not trying to ruin the reputation of the YS-D1 strobe and if I could have one that was guaranteed faultless, I would take it within the blink of an eye!

Your distributor should be able to take care of this for you. They are being fixed in the U.S. and in Asia. I bought mine from Hong Kong and they were in the affected range but updated before the seller shipped them to me. So far, so good. Great strobes.

You should insist that they replace or update.

For what it is worth - mark the battery positions with + or - on the top of the case by using the manual and referencing it carefully. What you describing happens when the batteries are not inserted correctly. Also, it should take a LOT of twist force to click the lid shut.

-- she who has been there, done that.

Interested in buying one of these strobes but these issues do concern me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom