YS-D1 problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cadell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I’m having trouble getting my two YS-D1 strobes to fire similarly. I’m currently at work so will have to post more examples later. My kit consists of an EM-5 in Olympus housing, flash set to fill, fiber optic cables, each connected directly to housing, no diffusers, eneloop pro batteries, two 5+8 arms and using between F3.5-F8, 1/60-1/250 shutter. What I’m noticing is that when:

Setting both strobes to TTL, EV+0, equally spaced, level with lens
L strobe: Correct exposure, but does not fill left of the frame
R strobe: Very under exposed, completely fills right of the frame. Will post example later.

Trying to compensate R strobe
L strobe: TTL, EV+0 as above
R strobe: Manual, EV+full, slightly under exposed compared to left of frame, fills r side of frame. Will post example later.

After playing with the settings more, to compensate R strobe
L strobe: TTL, EV-.5,
R strobe: Preflash (but camera isn’t using a preflash!), EV+1 ,and the strobes are finally within a ballpark intensity of each other. But the left still isn’t filling as much of the frame as the right. See attached image.
CxQGSmp.jpg

Any idea what's causing this? Or, anything I can do before sending them out?

Hey, I use the same strobes and I have never had any troubles with them.
The only thing I could think of is that the diffusers might not be the same.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, I wish I could see them, then I would probably be able to help a little more.
Good luck

Did you look carefully and make sure you didn't blow a bulb in the weaker strobe. I have blown a bulb and it still flashes weakly. Also did you try swapping the batteries and trying new batteries. They should be equal on equal settings.

Have you tested your strobes with a light meter to determine the strength of the flash?
you can do some dry land tests using 1 strobe at a time to compare their performance.

pick a long dark hallway and place objects every foot or so down its length. if your strobes are producing significant different levels of light then you should be able to tell by how many objects are lit up.

I suspect that you have a fiber problem. Try to use the two strobes in manual mode, with the flash on the camera set to 1/16 or so. I suspect both will fire fine since the flash signal is to fire. IF the fiber end is slightly cloudy or damaged, then the TTL signal is lost.

Let us know
BVA

+1 on possible fiber optic issue. The fiber(s) can break in the cable shield but the skin can hold it together. Performance will be erratic. Swap cables and see if the problem follows it. Make sure the port it plugs in to is dry and clean with no debris on the ends of the cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom