YS-D1 -- some questions .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meni Meller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the YS-D1 strobe :

1. Will it be ok to run the YS-D1 with 1.6 rechargeable NiZn batteries ?
Will it provide improved performance ?

2. has the YS-D1 been tested with Nikon's P7000 ? Are there known issues with P7000 (I know it's not in the certified camera's list).

3. Is it Ok to have two YS-D1 connected to the camera housing and both setup as DS-TTL II ?

4. What's the technical differences between DS-TTL and DS-TTL slave (blue led)
{I know that in the TTL slave mode the exposure compensation doesn't work, my question is which use-case requires the use of this mode rather than TTL with zero compensation}

Thanks !

Meni,

HI, please see our comments in red.

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the YS-D1 strobe :

1. Will it be ok to run the YS-D1 with 1.6 rechargeable NiZn batteries ? The YS-D1 is rated for alkaline and NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries only. Use of NiZN batteries is not recommended and will void warranty.
Will it provide improved performance ? See above.

2. has the YS-D1 been tested with Nikon's P7000 ? Are there known issues with P7000 (I know it's not in the certified camera's list). The latest strobe compatability chart is here: SEA&SEA | the P7000 is not tested or listed and as such we are unable to confirm compatability. We believe that the YS-D1 is compatible in manual mode and most likely DS-TTLII mode, but again can't confirm.

3. Is it Ok to have two YS-D1 connected to the camera housing and both setup as DS-TTL II ? Yes, use of 2 fiber optic cables is recommended.

4. What's the technical differences between DS-TTL and DS-TTL slave (blue led)
{I know that in the TTL slave mode the exposure compensation doesn't work, my question is which use-case requires the use of this mode rather than TTL with zero compensation} There is no specific case to only use on or the other, it is the choice of the user. If you prefer to have the ability to adjust EV in DS-TTL, then you can choose DS-TTLII. If not, select the other available modes.

Thanks !

Meni,

Regarding DS-TTL II/DS-TTL slave.

Pre YS-D1's DS-TTL (via fiber optic cable), you can adjust the exposure, but it was only into the minus position, and in some numeric instead of EV steps? So the only difference between DS-TTL & DS-TTL II is the steps being in EV and having the + EV positions? Or does the camera actually knows that there is flash exposure compensation taking place?

Is new DS-TTL slave just the old DS-TTL via fiber optics cable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom