YS-D1 vs the new YS-D2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calvin;

No, ASFIK the 250's are not being replaced. They are still a current shipping product.

Most people have switched over to YS-D1/D2s as they are so much lighter and smaller. They have nearly the same GN, just quite the same watt-seconds (push) as the 250's, and I like the 250's round flash tube. But you need a dive sherpa to travel with them!

Shucks!

I've been shooting and traveling with 4 YS-D1s for awhile now and they are the same size/weight as two YS-250s were (even less, given those bulky chargers and batteries).

The one thing I really miss from the 250s though was the ability to shoot in true rapid succession without limitation.

Great review Jack! I have heard that the YS-D2s won't work properly with the flash trigger like the YS-D1s. So if you are looking for a faster response you will have to use electronic sync cords and not rely on the trigger. Do you agree?

Also I find my rig quite heavy under the water and I have as many floats on my rig as I can fit. I have seen others with bigger rigs and bigger strobes, like the Ikelites, have more buoyant rigs. While the other strobes are heavier above the water, do you know if they are more buoyant underwater?

My D2 works fine with a fiber optic, it is not clear what you mean by flash trigger. Electronic sync will be faster than fiber if you rely on the camera flash to fire.
Bill

Oh I have been using a flash trigger on my Nikon to speed things up. It is a trigger that fits into the hot shoe of the camera. It is great if you don't want to deal with electronic sync/bulkhead stuff. (It works faster then the recycle of the D1)

I'm not sure what rig you have that's heavier than an Ikelite. The YS-D2s are very small and light, neutral underwater. It will depend on what port you have, etc.

As far as the S&S optical trigger goes, I know there's a different setting on the trigger for the D1 or D2 with the A7II version, but I haven't heard of any difficulty otherwise. If you want fast response just shoot manual and turn the power on the camera down. The only time I shoot TTL is for macro and then the recycle time isn't a factor as the strobes and camera are just putting out a small flash.

Sea & Sea has been very good about standing behind their products bought through US dealers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom