Ysd3 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While watching the sea and sea video I have a question
  • DS-TTL II
would this setting work with my olympus epl10/aoi housing or would I have to use slave ttl ?
thnx for any help and info

As I understand it, the built-in LED trigger of the AOI E-PL10 housing does not support TTL, so you can only use manual mode.

Also, the YS-D3 strobes are known for having low sensitivity optical sensors, which causes problems with some LED triggers. Sea & Sea's own LED triggers use twin AAA batteries to power very strong LEDs that overcome this, but other vendors typically use lower power solutions. Before purchasing this specific combination of housing + strobes, I'd look for definite, first-hand confirmation that it actually works - underwater, as it is unfortunately not uncommon to have optically triggered strobes fire on land, but when water gets into the connectors after splashing down, it degrades optical transmission just enough to keep the sensors from tripping.

As I understand it, the built-in LED trigger of the AOI E-PL10 housing does not support TTL, so you can only use manual mode.

Also, the YS-D3 strobes are known for having low sensitivity optical sensors, which causes problems with some LED triggers. Sea & Sea's own LED triggers use twin AAA batteries to power very strong LEDs that overcome this, but other vendors typically use lower power solutions. Before purchasing this specific combination of housing + strobes, I'd look for definite, first-hand confirmation that it actually works - underwater, as it is unfortunately not uncommon to have optically triggered strobes fire on land, but when water gets into the connectors after splashing down, it degrades optical transmission just enough to keep the sensors from tripping.
Thnx backscatter just wrote me back and said only manual works
I asked if any strobes work in ttl with my setup
Based on what you wrote I doubt it now

For what it's worth, my first pair of strobes were TTL-only (SeaFrogs ST-100 Pro), and while it kinda worked, from the moment I upgraded to manual-capable strobes (Retra Pro), I've used manual mode pretty much exclusively, even though I have a TTL-capable trigger board. The usefulness of TTL underwater is quite limited.

Back
Top Bottom