Z-system advantages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the advantage of the z over a block?

If you lose a hose from the block you can lose all your gas through it unless you have a way to isolate.

This is where the manifold comes in. You could achieve the same by connecting the one half of the QC directly into the block like many CCR gas add blocks do.

I think it's important to establish a perspective beyond simply stating whether there are more or less failure points.
Elevating an evaluation beyond that simple observation, we might look at what it means;

I.e. rather than focusing on the frequency of failure, we might take into account the consequence of a failure.

The core of one such evaluation will be a sacrifice between increased frequency but reduced impact of failure.

That is, there are more o-rings which may fail - but each of them may fail with less significance.

At the same time, I find it prudent to note in such evaluation that the OOG donation procedure is consistant.
For a diver who sees a benefit in that, there is legitimacy in pointing out that quality.

That said, a distribution block system failure will have a relatively larger impact on the team in the event of a failure - a manifold less so.

Thanks everyone -- you've cleared up my (mis)understanding.
Another tidbit missing from both the Z and block approach is that its very challenging for a buddy to figure out where the gas feeding the regulator in your mouth is coming from. While I suspect the Z has had a comparatively limited distribution/use so the track record is slimmer, gas block switches have been around for a long time and definitely have been implicated in more than one death, even amongst the "highly trained". There are gas block switch protocols (for instance with the RB80) but they are not something beginning tech divers really should be trying doing, the risks are notably greater than OC reg switch buddy checks.

Back
Top Bottom