Z240 or S2000? Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just getting started in the UW photography thing and can't say where i'll end up as far as a setup in the future. I didn't plan on making this anything more than "capture the moment" thing so I originally purchased a S95 and Canon housing but have recently upgraded to the Ikelite housing. Unfortunately I still don't have a strobe. Strobes and lenses seem to be the two things that are transferable if a camera change down the road is desired but more than likely, I'll be remaining with a P&S and single strobe on a flexarm for cost & ease of use. I've been looking at the S2000 but have an opportunity to purchase a used Z240 (type III) for about the same price. Any advice for a newbie?

I love my S2000. It is perfect for the S95 totally in keeping with the compact theme.

I would however opt fort the Z240 if you have the option for the same price as long as it is in good condition. You will actually get a better return on re-sale with the Z240 than you will with the S2000 and you would have spent less to acquire the Z240 to begin with.

The S2000 is a sweet small strobe but confronting it with the Z240 il miss:
- External Automatic Mode
- Connecor for electrical triggering
- 1 strobe tube (the Z240 has 2 strobe tubes for a better distribution)
- 4 GN of power ( 4 GN more is not that much under water, but more power is always better)
- lesser manual V corrections than the Z240
- no focus light
Read here about the technical details and how they work: INON?Strobe Lineup
Read here about the INON strobes: INON?Strobe Lineup

I would go with the Z240 if in good shape.

Chris

what kind of warranty coverage do you get on a used strobe? :wink:...i am cheap so if i was to get a used strobe for a good deal (which is still a bit of coin) and it died on me, i'd be pissed.

Thanks all - unfortunately my waffling caused my opportunity to slip through my fingers once again as the Z240 was snatched up. I'll keep looking but finding a used Inon seems to chore - people really hold onto these things!! The used pair of S2000s were gone before i even saw the post. Buying used, is always a gamble but it's hard to beat the prices. Looks like i'm diving this weekend and shooting in ambient light again

The S2000 is a sweet small strobe but confronting it with the Z240 il miss:

- 4 GN of power ( 4 GN more is not that much under water, but more power is always better)

Chris
GN 4 increase will vary depending on orig GN. A increase of GN from 20 to 24 is almost about 45% increase in power. If you had a strobe with GN of 100, increasing to 104 is practically nothing.

While it is true that a GN of 20 to 24 is a 20% improvement in GN and a theoretical 44% increase in power, in the real world it means that for a given subject you can take the picture a bit further away. At f16 for example and a GN of 20 the subject distance is 1.25 meters away and for GN 24 it is 1.5 meters away a gain of a quarter meter or only 9 inches. NOT a big difference. at 2 meters you are talking f 10 vs. f12 not even a full stop difference but maybe enough to gain a bit of DOF.

In any case while the two strobes have similar GN the Z240 covers a much wider angle at that same GN.

Bill

Until the last 3 years where Aussie dollar has improved I always bought second hand and got a great run out of them. I always bought SnS flashes and they proved themselves excellent and very reliable.

I found a good ebay supplier from Phillipines (splashphotography) who has great prices on Inon flashes. If I had a P&S which will be upgraded to an EPL style camera, trust me they all will, no reason why this should not be the standard replacement for P&S as prices come down, then the better the flash the better for UW photography.

Back
Top Bottom