Zanzibar hotel & diving advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marciadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a safari trip to Tanzania in Feb. and ending it with 4 days in Zanzibar. I would like to stay at a nice place where they have a dive shop at the hotel or next to it. From what I've read, I guess it would be best on the northeast part of the island. looking for info and suggestions. My main focus is to dive everyday but I want a nice resort, as my husband does not dive.

My wife and I are traveling to Zanzibar at the end of July. We are diving with Scubafish and staying in Matemwe at the Azanzi beach hotel where Scubafish has a dive center. Will post a follow up after we get back. We are planning on diving for 4 of the 6 days we are there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Marciadive, I was in Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar this past Feb myself. It was my first time on safari and it was fantastic. I dove in Zanzibar as well the neighbouring islands of Pemba and Mafia, about 5-6 days each.

In Zanzibar I stayed at Sunset Beach Bungalows in Kendwa, in the north west part of the island. The attached dive op was called Scuba Do. I also dove with a dive op called East Africa Divers in the northwest part of the island (15- 20 minutes by road) - better access to Mnemba atoll. Visibility was better and fish life was also better at Mnemba. But it is a good haul away from land - more than an hour if I remember correctly. The diving at Scuba Do was closer to land, 10-15 minute trips. Overall, both dive ops were good, but East Africa was probably the better.

Sunset Beach was okay, fine for me, I like just basic, clean a/c rooms, and that's what I got. Food and wifi was actually better at the hotel right next door. I'm not sure if East Africa Divers has a hotel (not attached anyway), but I'm sure there are some close by. I'm also not sure about the beaches on the north west side (for your husband), but I'm sure you can check that out yourself. Does he snorkel? There's snorkeling to be had. As well, land based activities in Stonetown, and spice plantations, etc.

Pemba was a disappointment but Mafia Island was as good if not better than Zanzibar. I stayed at the Mafia Island Lodge. Excellent food. Room was okay. The dive op was very good - highly recommended, very good bunch of people, they take good care of you . Problem with Mafia is the cost - $20 per day in park fees, whether you dive or not. And they do have non diving activities on the island. Plus they have a snorkel with whale sharks trip.

Other info: No ATMs in the north part of Zanzibar, so fill up in Stonetown when you land. The small planes used to fly to/from the island are really small - only one pilot, so one passenger gets to fly shotgun - excellent! (They don't mind if you video away) There is a bit of history to Zanzibar, so it may be worthwhile to keep a day for Stonetown, if that interests you.

Of course, 4 days are not nearly enough, but I'm sure you know that! Extend!

Back
Top Bottom