Zanzibar / Pemba / Mafia - LOB vs Day Tripping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow fish,

My wife and I will be in the Zanzibar area for 4 or 5 days in January 2015. We've heard and read enough postings to firmly conclude that the diving is not to be missed so we've dedicated the entire time to it! What we're having trouble with is deciding between liveaboarding and day tripping. From the sound of it, most seem to take day trips, and liveaboards experiences don't seem to be similar to what is offed in the Similan Islands or Caribbean.

Would anyone on the board care to confirm or correct what we've concluded? Also, how do LOB and day trips match up in terms of expected dives per day?

Our experience is as follows:
My wife and I have logged just under 50 dives each. We are both PADI AOW certified with nitrox specialty, we have a number of Canadian Great Lakes' wreck and drift dives logged, we have spent a week on a Liveaboard in the Similan Islands, and have a week on a Liveaboard in Turks and Caicos coming up in a few weeks. We love small stuff and big stuff and are up for anything. My wife has a particular interest in chacking off "whale shark" and "dolphin" sightings from her bucket list so those are a big bonus where ever possible. Sharks are awesome, but cage diving and feedings are not attractive to us.

Many thanks!

Jay

Back
Top Bottom