Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is good. I had a good time. Whether you or your gear makes it out of there is another story. Crime is pretty pretty bad. I would research this very carefully.

Wow, what do u mean ?

there was a thread about east africa recently. in short, i did a couple of average/good dives out of stonetown/zanzibar. stonetown itself is a tourist trap. drug addict touts/scammers will relentlessly follow you around all day because they have nothing better to do. zanzibar outdside of stonetown was very pleasant. tanzania as whole was a good experience.

Well heck. :( Tanzania/Zanzibar only recently became a part of my list. When the girls had acid thrown in their faces, I wavered but considered that I'm significantly older than they are, decided it could still be done by me. Only worry most anywhere is my blonde hair, blue eyes and trying to keep my cleavage a non-issue.

Zanzibar returns to a wavy line on my list. Such a shame. It really could have become a "new" and fabulous destination (not necessarily for diving)

Tridacna, if you will, I'd appreciate more info on how your friend happened to have the theft (s) befall him. TIA

All that said, the scooping of items from near windows is a worldwide issue. It behooves each one of us to keep our valuables/documents out of sight and out of reach no matter where we travel.

Some advice if you must go. Never walk alone at night especially on the beach. Take taxis EVERYWHERE. If you leave the security of the resort, you're at risk. I'm not saying that something will happen but drugs and crime are commonplace and a well fed tourist with a Nikon or Canon is a very attractive target. My buddy had stuff stolen from his room while he was sleeping. They broke in and took a reg set, wallet and dive computer. Yes, he should have kept the wallet and computer in the safe.

The diving was awesome. Service good and Tanzanian people outside of ZBAR were amazing BUTcrime is rampant and you have to be on your guard. You are warned: "Do not leave stuff on your towel while on the beach". IS that how you want to enjoy your vacation?

I'm often willing to put up with a bit more risk requiring a bit more care for a spectacular/special experience. I just need to go in as educated as possible to hopefully mitigate a bit of the risk. I'm not much of a hang out at the beach person, so maybe could consider that no biggie. Besides leaving stuff unattended on the beach is rarely recommended anywhere. If I do go, I've got a drybag fannypack type thing that will hold everything I need including a cover up.

In any event, thanks so much for the advice. I'll keep it on the wavey list. :)

Having someone wandering my room while I'm sleeping really creeps me out. What kind of accommodations was he staying in? TIA

Ok, let's forget about Zanzibar.

We find that a lot of tourists visit Africa, totally ignorant of what things generally are like here. Lots of them book trips online, including accommodation , without consulting possible contacts at their destination such as credible tour operators etc. We had visitors from the UK book an entire trip online, staying at lodges totally unsafe and in unsuitable areas...taking a non registered taxi from the airport....not safe or bright at all! We don't say you shouldn't visit Africa ...but please ..try to speak to credible locals before you come here. In certain areas of Africa poverty forces locals to take whatever actions to get money . The same goes as everywhere else in the world that you have to be a bit streetwise and know where not to go , what not to do etc etc. I have not been to Zanzibar but I have been to several places in Africa and yes, be sure about where to go , what to do to ensure your safety , and get a lot of local info before you decide to go. If you stick to the streetwise rules...it will be Brilliant !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom