Zeagle 911 BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f&rdiver241

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone using the Zeagle 911 BC?.....Pro's....Con's....What About the zeagle ZX/50-D or ZX/Flathead Vi regs?

Why would you need a BC with so much lift, are you going to salvage wrecks with it???? What kind of diving do you intend to do??

The SAR BC is identical to the 911, except for the addition of a permanently installed lifting harness for helicopter, cliff, or swiftwater work. You may want to contact some safety diver organizations for more info.....

we will be using it in psd work....body recovery....evidence recovery......possible automobile recovery

I take my hat off for people like you, that is a very tough job and I respect anyone who commit themselfs to such a cause........

Yes, I would probably contact my local safety divers organisation. You guys need special equipment, quick to put on and simple..........

I've used the 911 BC, it dives great, keeps you trimmed out well, but I found the front too busy for my taste. I've switched to a BP/one piece harness. I don't do any sort of public safety diving, so I couldn't speak for it's suitability in such an appplication.
For twin tank diving, it was quite nice, far too much lift (65 lbs) for a single tank though. I found the Zeagle has a lot of inherent buoyancy, I dropped quite a bit of weight just by switching to a backplate. If you're diving in cold water, the crotch strap may give you some trouble to get undone with cold hands.
The reflective piping on the wing and harness really show up well. Overall, a nice, well made piece of gear I would say, just not what I was after.

We have been in Zeagles for a lot of years and they fit our needs very well. The Tech does a very god job at a decent price.

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=HeavyDutyBC&src=gendocs&link=Tech

911 can be an overkill. Keep looking at the kiss system. It works very well.

Use caution with some of the harness systems. If one side comes lose you can roll out of it.

Gary D.

We use the 911 for our PSD team - I HATE IT!!!

Seriously, I would have prefered staying with the standard jacket & weight belt system we had before. Some of the problems that I see are:
It has way too much lift for a single tank application
Too bulky
The tank flops around alot
You have to disconnect no less than 7 buckles to get out of it!
Too many d-rings, clips and gadgets make it prone to entanglements.
The integrated weight system is a pain to set up prior to the dive and weight ditching drills are impossible to do in a timely fashion

If you want a good back bouyancy system use a back plate & wing. I find it more stable, comfortable and streamlined than the 911 despite the fact that the straps are adjustable on the zeagle. In fact its like night and day!

Don't be fooled like our guys were. Just because its called "911" and is marketed as a SAR product doesn't mean anything.
I'd be happy to go into detail about any of the points I've made if you like

Thank you bridgediver that was very well put.

With the Tech's we use I can get into it and only clip one buckle for a great fit. If I hook the other three fine, if I don't that's fine to. Still a good fit and I don't have to think about it.

A lot of SAR gear has never been near an actual operation and has come from the drawing board as someone's bright idea.

SAR has such a broad area of operation that no single piece of equipment will work everywhere every time.

Water doesn't even work for every fire.

When we were training for the Gemini and Apollo recoveries NASA said the ring and diaper "could not" be put on with only 3 divers. BS, it was easier and faster than with the recomended 4 in their SOP's.

Some teams needed the 4 but, over some beers one night, we figured a way with three and tried it. We weren't surprised when it worked but our CO was and pushed the process through channels where it got approved.

Just because someone with a big IQ design's something in a lab doesn't mean it will work for us peons in the real world.

And in refering to "damn that's a nice avatar you got there!!" shouldn't that be pair of avatar's? :wink:

Gary D.

we bought two and so far OK , but we use steel 100 tanks wear most use alum tanks with our steel tanks and using them with dry suits most over weighted anyway they been fine. the rings every one say are over rated so far been a plus for use we make every diver carry two cutting devices most use wire cutters and EMT scissors with even more carry three and include knife , they have a strobe and back up light , along with compass , whistle , most carry some type safety sausage , so as you see you can get to much equipment and soon need them extra rings , look at what your team plan on carrying first , then average the weight out add ten pounds for safety in faster water then start from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom