Zeagle BCD advice for PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My unit is updating our BCD (We have also Back-plate system for our doubles). We are leaning to Zeagle BCD. Because of good quality, reliability and comfort. I think the drop weight system is clever.

We need a system where we can walk with the gear some distance and be "lighter".

Zeagle have different types, built on very similar system. I have tried the Ranger and liked it.

I have tried the LTD I found it very good. But there was one thing the bothering me. Maybe the vest was to big on me, but the cylinder was riding so low it was not good carrying the vest with all the gear. Maybe if the vest would be smaller in size then it would be better ?

Then there is 911 type. I have not tried that. They say it "specially" made for PSD ?

I´m looking for some advice from those who have tried those types, are in simillar type of work and can give me some tips and hints so we can make an decision on which we should buy. I have read so many reviews on the net but none of that have really helped me yet.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

My team is using the Zeigle Rangers right now, honestly against my preference. I do not like the weight system. Not at all. There were a couple of PSDs killed while wearing Zeigle rangers a couple of years ago, I believe mostly due to maintenance issues.

I require all of my members to dump and rethread their weights every training day.

My team is using the Zeigle Rangers right now, honestly against my preference. I do not like the weight system. Not at all. There were a couple of PSDs killed while wearing Zeigle rangers a couple of years ago, I believe mostly due to maintenance issues.

I require all of my members to dump and rethread their weights every training day.
What's the reasoning behind that?

That is a good question? I just recently got a Zeagle Ranger and would also like to know.

This would also be a good question to bring to Zeagle. Vest killing people because of a flaw does not make good business.

This would also be a good question to bring to Zeagle. Vest killing people because of a flaw does not make good business.

I did not say that the vest had a flaw, nor that it killed people. It was a maintenance issue with the BCD and was a contributing factor, I believe. I WILL NOT allow my team to dive with equipment that I consider unsafe.

That being said, I hate the weight system. Many experienced divers will screw up ditching a simple weight belt properly and safely, unless they practice it (and how many honestly do practice this basic skill?). This weight system just makes the process a bit more cumbersome.

I can train my guys for 12 hours, make them wear drysuits all day in the 90+ degree Florida sun, dive in smelly water, dragging chains and other heavy gear. What do they complain the most about? Ditching and rethreading the weights. And they're going to do it at least until they stop complaining about it. If it ever comes to a point where someone is questioning whether to ditch their weights or not, I don't want them to factor re-threading the weights into the decision.

Also, I've ditched my weights and had them get stuck in the webbing (and not entirely ditch). Our BCDs did not come with the weight pouch inserts, so we were just putting loose weights in the pocket. It's only happened to me with light weights (like 2lbs I think) and on land, but it does concern me a little. If you go with this BC, get the pouches as well, even if they are extra. My preference is to use a weight belt that is independent of the BCD.

Other than the weight system, I have no problems with these BCDs. They are indeed rugged and well built. Zeigle is very good about standing behind their gear, and we have the added benefit of being just a two hour drive from their manufacturing plant.

If it wasn't for the weight system, I'd have no problem recommending these BCDs.

That´s a good point ReefGuy and thanks for your comment. This is a good input about the weight system, which I thought at first to be clever design.

After I have consider the pro and cons about the different setup and types between Ranger, LTD and 911, I will go for a simple Ranger. And as you suggested,, buy weight pockets with it.

I have been diving over 40 years and never had to dump my weights. That's not to say it can't happen. I have, however, lost my weight belt on occasion. How many times have you been down at 30-40 feet burning off your air waiting for the gas hogs to get on the boat and lo and behold here comes a weight belt. That doesn't happen with the weight integrated pouch style. The "right release" weight belt is prone to getting caught and releasing unexpectedly and that can pose it's own set of problems. I use the shot type BB's in a small bag stuffed into a larger pouch. They are much more comfortable than the square metal ones. My integrated system is not prone to slipping as much as a belt is. They are also easier on my back.

If I need to drop, I have multiple ways to do so. I can pull the rip cord and get rid of all of them at once or, just pull the red tab on one pouch and dump that pouch or, unzip the pocket and remove one weight and maybe hand it to a friend that needs it. I can release some of my weights or all. With a weight belt that is pretty tough.

I should have prefaced this with the fact that I am a lazy recreational drift diver. I like sunny tropical destinations and 100+ viz. The integrated works well for me. If you are a tech or commercial your needs may differ. I think it is personal preference.

Reef Guy is right about one thing, whatever weight system you use, you better know how to dump it quickly. If you need to practice, then do so. If you have never dumped then do so. I think I will go re-thread my Stiletto right now.

I've got a Zeagle Brigade (same as the Ranger but a smaller wing.) I've been using to meet the requirements of one dive program for a single pull weight drop. If it weren't for that requirement I would not dive the Zeagle at all due to the poor (for me) weight and lift distribution. (I end up foot heavy all the time- annoying)

For public safety dives we use backplate and wing rigs standardized for the entire team. We can run singles or doubles and as long as your hikes aren't too long they are reasonably comfortable. (Neoprene shoulder pads help)

You can put together a BP/W setup with one piece webbing for a lot less money than the Zeagles as well. To me they are a lot more durable and easier to decontaminate as well.

If you already have BP/W sets for your doubles the other advantage would be using a standard setup for any tank rig you need, no need to alter training for the different rigs.

That's a good point TC. Make sure and try the BC you are thinking about getting-in the water. You may be "foot heavy" or it may be perfect. I have owned 10-15 BC's over the years and rented as many. My Zeagle Stiletto has been the best of all of them. Yep, I am a Zeagle fan boy; however, I would change in a heart beat if I find something I like better. BC's can be like clothes. Some fit better than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom