Zeagle Covert as Primary as Opposed to "Travel" BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scraps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to replace my entry-level jacket style BC with a back inflate.

I'm at a "less is more" stage of my diving. I want functionality, but I don't want extra bells and whistles, especially if they add weight and cost without making my diving safer or more enjoyable.

I like the Ranger, but simpler, lighter, less restrictive, and less cumbersome all seem like very good things to me right now. And the Covert seems to offer them.

I've never quite understood the "travel BC" category. If they're good enough to dive with on vacation, shouldn't they be good enough to dive with on a regular basis at home?

Are they less durable? What do you give up?

What am I not thinking of?

Is there a reason this would not be suitable as the regular BC for someone who's about to become a DM and start leading people around underwater?

I crave your collective wisdom. (Seriously, I do.)

It'd work fine, although I do have to ask... why not just bp/w?

That is also under active consideration.

The only things I didn't like about the BPW I used one weekend were a) the crotch strap, which I understand I can do without in most recreational diving, and b) the base of the inflator hose being harder to reach.

Cost may also be a driver.

Thanks.

A couple of times--due to my unfamiliarity with the gear and carelessness--the hose was unsecured and drifted up. It attaches far enough back that I couldn't just reach back to the base without looking to retrieve it. Not blaming the equipment for operator error.

Gotcha. Fortunately, with your own gear, lack of familiarity should go away. I wouldn't make a decision one way or the other based on this when you can very easily solve it with a small piece of bungie cord.

Cost is legitimate. Looks like the Covert can be had for ~$300. A bp/w set up from DGX starts at about $350. Add a bit more to get weight pockets (assuming with a steel plate you even need weight pockets).

I have a Zeagle Covert which I use for both local and travel diving. It is very durable, light weight (@4# for Covert and @5# for the version), packable, comfortable, weight integrated, 32# lift bladder, and has an easily removable inflator valve with a built in hose connector to enhance bladder flushing. That last feature is fantastic for flushing the bladder after a week in salt water. The XT provides more attachment points, better integrated weight pockets, and trim weight pockets. Both the Covert and XT are great back inflate bcds for recreational diving. FWIW, I just bought a HOG soft plate bp/w which I got primarily for volunteer diving that I do which requires a lot of body movements, twists, and turns, and I found my Covert was a little more wiggly than I liked. However, the HOG system, even without a metal backplate or STA, weighs more than twice my Covert, so I will likely keep the Covert for travel.

Update:

I decided not to get the Zeagle Covert because it wrapped too much fabric around me--not as much as a jacket style, but more than I want.

So now I'm looking at the Hollis LTS, which was seeming ideal until I read that it's only ok for AL80 or steel 85 tanks. I do have a pair of steel 120's that I occasionally use--though less frequently than I did when I consumed more air. I don't know if the tank limitation is a function of of the LTS having only one tank strap or its lift capacity or something else. Any insights?

If the Hollis doesn't work out, I may spend the extra money and get a Dive-Rite Transpac, which unsurprisingly is the direction the first replier suggested.

Update:

I decided not to get the Zeagle Covert because it wrapped too much fabric around me--not as much as a jacket style, but more than I want.

So now I'm looking at the Hollis LTS, which was seeming ideal until I read that it's only ok for AL80 or steel 85 tanks. I do have a pair of steel 120's that I occasionally use--though less frequently than I did when I consumed more air. I don't know if the tank limitation is a function of of the LTS having only one tank strap or its lift capacity or something else. Any insights?

If the Hollis doesn't work out, I may spend the extra money and get a Dive-Rite Transpac, which unsurprisingly is the direction the first replier suggested.

You should file this under 'opinions are like #######s, everybody has one.'

IMO, for a warm water travel diver (i.e., you're diving bare or in a rashguard/1mm skin suit), I would rule out a BP/W. This forum is very pro BP/W, which I understand if you are a regular cool/cold water diving or wearing a thicker suit. BP/W can be more personalized, and cheaper, but I personally find BP/Ws incredibly uncomfortable (that plate is NOT forgiving), and they do not save any more room in my luggage over a commercial 'travel BC'. So far, I have never seen a BP/W at the warm water resorts or liveaboards I have been on.

Like you, I reached a similar 'less is more' point in my diving as well, wanted something easy to travel with for warm water, fit me well, but did not have any extra do-dads or fabric.

I also considered and dismissed the Covert. Have you considered the AL Rogue or Outlaw? I ended up with the Rogue. It's great for my adventures, and if I need to go over the side locally to retrieve a tool or replace a zinc anode (I live in Seacoast NH), it's decent for the cool water. I think it has the best of all worlds: not a jacket per se, comfortable, minimalist, modular, somewhat customizable.

Like all opinions, personal experiences may vary. :wink:

Update:

@Scraps What did you finally decide to do?

I own the Covert XT, and have been pretty happy with the purchase with one major exception. I feel the horseshoe shaped wing of the XT created a real TRIM challenge for me, getting enough lift for my lower body. I’m now looking at BP/W BCDs (with donut shaped wings).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom