Zeagle Express Tech for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to get into sidemount diving, but don't want to invest in a dedicated sidemount system at this time. I have a Zeagle Express Tech BC, and have read various posts on here about converting it to sidemount. However the posts were old and the pictures of the setup have been taken down.

At the moment I have a Dive Rite Voyager EXP 30lb doughnut wing attached to the Express Tech, as the bladder that came with it is not sufficient for cold water diving. I'll also be using a drysuit during the fall and winter, though I won't be diving as often.

I've also researched the OMS sidemount adapter and am willing to purchase if I can get it to work with my current setup.

Do you intend to take a sidemount course or are you wanting to have a go at it yourself first?

If your taking a course the instructor may be able to provide you with a proper kit. That way you can worry about converting your Zeagle afterwards.

Rental from cave adventurers was pretty inexpensive The sidemount rig after the course was rather more money.

Iirc, they have like 7 different rigs, depending on exactly what you plan to do in sidemount determines which makes the most sense to play with.

I tried converting a BP/W to a SM and failed miserably. I eventually bought a Hollis SMS75 and kept the BP/W as a BM. If you're serious enough about SM, get a proper rig if taking this on yourself, so you can concentrate on learning SM. It will be a hell of a lot easier on you.

I adapted my ET with the 24# wing for sidemount in warn water and it worked fairly well for warm water. I borrowed some things from my sidemount rig and added and changed some things on the ET. I think the biggest thing is keeping the wing pulled down towards the sides at the bottom so it does not taco up.

How many threads do we need to have from experienced, good sidemounters explaining that unless you want to go through hell, look like crap, and waste money buy a dedicated sm rig, until people actually catch on and quit asking how to cheap out?
Get a good dedicated sm rig and buy once.

I have a sidemount rig but it is just to bulky for the airline and cruise ship travel that I needed one for. The modified ET worked well for what I needed it for and fit into the travel space requirements I had. I was able to get my whole sidemount rig except for my fins in one carry on.

I switched my bp/w over to a toddy style rig because I had almost everything on hand minus a butt pad. It has been great and I like it much more than BM. It may not be as good as a dedicated sm rig, but I don't have any complaints with it.

I don't know anything about the express tech or your diving, but I thought I would share my experience.

I put my ET 35lb wing on a steel plate so I’ve got the plastic plate and harness sitting around. I’ve considered adding a DECO bladder and loop bungee to make a travel SM rig. I can’t see how it would perform any differently than any similar rig in the tropics. But it will not replace my DR rig.

Back
Top Bottom