Zeagle Express Tech opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFOrb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm considering buying my first BCD and require a lightweight option for travel. I've had a look at some travel BCs and drawn up a shortlist, at the top of which is currently the Zeagle ET. Probably with the shoulder pads option as I tend to dive with just a rash guard (and shorts :wink: ) when I can, and we'll possibly do a fair few of shore entries over the next few years.

I know the Zeagle is well thought of on SB and been discussed loads previously.

My question is more about whether it would work as a shared BC. My wife & I don't dive together right now as we have little kids so we 'tag-team' the dives. Would it be easy & quick enough to adjust the ET during a surface interval, for example, so we can both dive with it? Baring in mind, I'm around 1.82m (5'11'') / 95kg (210lb) and my wife's 1.56m (5'1") / 54kg (119lb) (I think).
Would the bladder be suitable for both of us?

We are rec holiday divers so only 1 tank set up required.

I would like the option of integrated weights but read somewhere the Zeagle weight pockets are not that good. I assume I could just buy 3rd party pockets to attach instead?

Other than that my shortlist comprises:
Cressi Ultralight
AquaLung Zuma
Hollis LTS
...and possibly Mares Hybrid Pure

Obviously the above would be just for me, but my wife's not as bothered about owning a BCD as I am, she's been happy with rentals. So would I be better off getting my size in one of the above? I really like the look of the Hollis, one of my insta-buddies on my last trip had one, and probably the most robust out of all of them?, but it is the most expensive too.

Unfortunately my LDC has none of the above in stock to look at, except the Mares I think?

Any opinions would be much appreciated. Btw, I've only used jacket type BCs previously but have not been happy with a few of them and I really like the idea of these lightweight ones (more freedom, better position in the water etc).

Cheers,
Rob

I'm also looking for a BC that is suitable for travel. I'm pretty sure the standard sizing charts I've seen for every BC (other than the ET) I've looked at would put you and your wife in different size BCs. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the Zuma when I tried one on, though I still plan to get a closer look at the Zeagles (Stiletto, Covert, Express Tech).

Last edited:
The Express Tech is basicly a one size fits all. Sizing on the Express Tech is very easy yo adjust. You just have to move the triglides on the bottom of the shoulder section of the harness on each side to the length needed.
Integrated weights can be added to the BC by putting some of the XS SCUBA Quick Release Weight Pouches on the waist band and maybe a couple of their Trim Weight pouches on one of the cam bands.
A crotch strap is a good idea to help stasbalize the BC.
The ET is an excellent travel BC. It packs small and is quit light weight.

At least in my neck of the woods, zeagle is not as well thought of as they used to be. They got purchased, and changed their manufacturing. I'm not sure where it's done now, but they closed the Florida, USA plant that used to make the bcd's. Or, so I heard from my LDS. The gear may or may not be the same quality that it has been previously as a result.

you can try an adjustable harness on the express tech.

the 24lb wing is plenty for tropical diving

another option is to just go with a bpw with soft backplate and donut wing and buy an extra soft plate/harness from oxycheq, mares, apeks, etc. that way you and your wife would each have your own one piece harness on a plate.

I've traveled with my express tech many times. It is not a travel BCD at over 6 lbs but you can pack it into luggage. I really like the BCD and once you take all the padding off it is even better. The integrated weight pockets are well constructed. I put a couple of xs scuba weight pockets on the shoulder straps for trim (it's easier to mount those without the shoulder padding). You definitely want the crotch strap to keep it from riding up. Weighted properly I put almost no air into the BCD so 24 # is adequate, plus enough to float the entire rig ( I dive with 10-12 lb of lead).

I love the ET, But if I were starting again, I'd look into a backplate and donut wing as suggested by runsongas (and just about everyone else it seems) especially for travel

I love the ET, But if I were starting again, I'd look into a backplate and donut wing as suggested by runsongas (and just about everyone else it seems) especially for travel

You have to realise that SB has a bunch of rather vocal proponents of BP&W and Shearwater computers, and then there's a whole lot of people who dive happily in jacket BCDs and Suuntos instead of posting here. :wink: The basic harness would be less quick and easy to adjust than ET's by the looks of it.

I have a non deluxe ET that I dive on occasion but mostly have for my 10 year old when he does Scuba Rangers or as a borrow BC for buddies.

I'm 6'1 200lb have a buddy who is quite a bit bigger and my 10 year old is... a ten year old.

Works great for everyone maybe a ten minute tweak, only downside is the extra webbing but we just fold it up and tie it off.

If you put a bit more time into the resizing you can take in quite a bit of webbing at the shoulder slots and "store it" behind the backplate.

There is a Express Tech for sale in the classifieds section in the rep samples post or something. Not my ad but it is a good deal on a ET.

Thanks for all your responses on this. It's good to know that it's possible to do a quick and easy adjustment during SI if we want to switch. Most likely we'll alternate dive days anyway so no real rush to make the adjustments.
As fairly new diver who's only used jacket style BCDs, i have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the minimalist ET set up, but that would probably actually be a good thing for me as I don't like feeling closed in and find the jackets a bit cumbersome. My LDC actually has some Hollis wing set ups that they said I can try out in the pool to get a feel for that style before buying anything, so I'm going to take them up on that.

I have a non deluxe ET that I dive on occasion but mostly have for my 10 year old when he does Scuba Rangers or as a borrow BC for buddies.

There is a Express Tech for sale in the classifieds section in the rep samples post or something. Not my ad but it is a good deal on a ET.

Thanks enduser. The one I've seen on sale here is the non deluxe version, possibly old stock as Zeagle only seem to sell the deluxe version now.
Zeagle Express Tech Lightweight Travel Wing

Without having looked I assume the one in classifieds you're referring to is in the US? I'm in the UK so that prob wouldn't work for me unfortunately, but I'll look it up when I get some time later.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The integrated weight pockets that came with my Zeagle ET are fine. Mine came with the shoulder pads and I don't use them, I just find they get in the way. For me, I needed to shorten the webbing straps enough that there's no room for them anyway. Personally, I find adjusting the upper webbing a pain and it's not something I'd want to be doing every day or in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom