Zeagle F8 with SP lp seat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have an F8 on loan, and have been playing with it a bit, nothing like experimenting with someone else's reg (sorry @lexvil ). The F8 uses standard O rings but at $8.95 for an lp seat wondered if there was a cheaper way to go.

Pulled it apart, the seat looks the same as an Atomic, no surprise there I guess, anyway fitted a SP seat, tuned up fine. I'll dive it a while to see how well it holds up.

If it works I could make up F8 second stage service kits for a fraction of the cost OEM.

I'll post back with results. Cheers.

They do look cool all black:

334D9F9C-5206-4994-B040-DE93A79C408F.jpeg
8E1C3F26-B609-459F-9A2B-E8DF1A4004F2.jpeg

I do wish they'd used the square end barrel like the Atomics and SP as it does twist a tad when you do up heatsink a la Apeks.

I'm no expert.

If the shoe/seat fits, wear it/use it. Do I see a feature in the Z's balancing hole that is not present in the SP seat?

After you've used both seats for a while, compare the indentation marks to ensure the SP seat face is large enough.

I'm no expert. If the shoe fits, wear it.
Do I see a feature in the Z's balancing hole that is not present in the SP seat?

The Z seat is molded over a metal disc, and the hole is recessed somewhat as opposed to flush on the SP if that's what you mean.

The Z seat is molded over a metal disc, and the hole is recessed somewhat as opposed to flush on the SP if that's what you mean.
I see what you mean now. I thought I saw a hollow rivet going through the Z seat. SP had something like that years ago but got away from it. In the photo above, I must be seeing the metal disc you're referring to.

Boy, that looks exactly like an Atomic seat. Under the scope, the Atomic seat material is actually softer than the SP, but the disc underneath gives it rigidity. It's perfect for the AA's seat saver feature, because the material seems to be silicone-like in not taking a set. It's a great material.

Doesn't matter, though, which you use. Width isn't a factor since it's larger than the orifice. Clearly, the extra manufacturing step with the disc adds to cost. With seat saver, those seats can go years. I don't know longevity with constant pressure on the seat. But since your Zeagle is the same mechanism as Atomic (which makes sense, corporate-wise), I'd say, pay the extra few dollars and just switch out o-rings at service time. Seat will likely be just fine.

On the other hand, if a cheaper seat seals lightly enough, then the seat-saver feature will benefit it, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom