Zeagle Inflator Pull Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is one of those often neglected parts that could benefit from occasional service so I thought I'd post this...

I'm replacing the obnoxiously-long 19" corregated hose on my zeagle ranger with a 14" hose, and had to take apart the pull dump in the process. Last fall, I took someone's advice that was posted on this site and put some listerene mouth wash in the BC bladder, in order to prevent mold from growing in there during winter storage. That may have been a mistake. There was not one part inside of that pull-dump assembly that wasn't sticky. Sticky like the floor in a movie theater. It still "worked", but having the entire surface of every little part in there being that sticky can't be good for it. It would have attracted dirt and eventually boogered itself up.

The pull-dump assembly came apart easily. I cut the cable off, only because I have to replace it with a shorter one. There is an o-ring in there. It's a 2-211. So add that to your grocery list if you have one of these BCs and you're ordering o-rings.

Anyway, I had to clean every little part in there with dishwashing detergent to get the sticky mouthwash residue off. If you've ever put that stuff in your BC, you may want to take the dump valves apart & see what's going on with them.

-tiny-B.

I can't believe people recommend using Listerine to wash their bladders out. What a terrible idea.

jonnythan:
I can't believe people recommend using Listerine to wash their bladders out. What a terrible idea.
Just did a search... 38 threads have "Listerine" in them, at least half look BC-cleaning related.

Oh dear...

Iguana Don did, on 16th October 2001. The finger of shame has been pointed!

Actually this is the first time I've heard of problems using listerine, but not many people strip their BCs down themselves to find out if it's actually *causing* a problem.

I use mouthwash in my BC; Scope, I hate the taste of Listerine.

But, I do not leave it in for storage. I just put in a small cupfull, after I've rinsed/emptied the bladder a few times so there is no salt taste. I then fill the bladder again, mix it up, and let sit for a few minutes. I out again a time or two, until no more minty fresh taste. I'm sure to also purge the clear water thru all the dumps.

I figure the Scope may kill off any bacteria and other bad stuff in there, but, don't leave it sit for long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom