Zeagle, Mares or wait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleythedog

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been considering a Mares MR12 Rebel or a Zeagle Envoy. Would like to hear of anyone having experience with these regs. Additionally, would it be wise to purchase one of these regs or my other option is to wait a year and get either Apeks ATX50 or Aqualung Legend.

Most of my diving is warm water in the <130ft range and I do not see myself doing cold water diving. At some point would want to go to 150-160ft but not anytime in the near future (many more dives and training needed).

suggestions ?

thanks

....even if you wait for a higher end model like the flathead. The envoy is a balanced reg and will go as deep as you want and more. The downstream second does not have the fine tuning adjustment like it's big brother ZX, but I'm sure it's an easy breather, as it scored perfect on all the tests. JMHO, as I have a couple flatheads and ds5s.

tony

I have a Rebel, and it is exactly what they say it is....a good reg for the money. No pre-dive feature, and I'll probably get a pivot joint for the first stage. Good "first" reg.

scubatexastony:
The downstream second does not have the fine tuning adjustment like it's big brother ZX...

The second stage of the Envoy Deluxe is adjustable. In fact it is a ZX without the heatsink (which can be added later along with a first stage environmental seal). That being said, I have the Envoy Deluxe and I love it. Both the Envoy and Envoy Deluxe are great first regs at very affordable prices.

I love my Zeagle Envoys and can't say I'd buy differently the next time around. My husband has a Legend and has had a couple of problems with his, but my Zeagle has been rock solid.

scubatexastony:
as in fine tuning the cracking pressure, or a dive/predive lever?

tony

Yes, the Envoy Deluxe second stage has both of the above. It only lacks the cold water heat sink or it would be a ZX.

This regulator is now a top performer and best seller, after Zeagle combined the warm water performance features of our top second stage with the economical but potent Envoy first stage.

The funny part is that it was an afterthought.

Chad

I personally would pay the little extra and go with the ZX second stages. I have 2 DS-V's with ZX second stage and Envoy Octos' they are solid and breathe wonderfully. I highly recommend them.

My wife dives with the Mares MR12 Rebel and hasn't had any problem. It is a pretty basic reg and not too expensive. The Zeagle will probably cost a little more but I think you get more for the money.

I like my Zeagles and would recommend them to anyone. I've got the Apeks's too, but with only one dive on them so far. I have to say for the money you cannot beat the Zeagle. See my profie pic and you can see the first stages side by side. I had the Zeagle and it was time for my g-friend to get her own, I asked her what she wanted and she said she wanted my Zeagle. I had always wanted an Apeks so that's my new regulator, so far not complants with either.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom