Zeagle Onyx or Mares Abyss 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a newbie to the sport just looking to buy his first set of regs. I will be diving mostly cold water here in Ontario and in Cape Breton Island. I have dwindled my options to either the Zeagle Onyx or Mares Abyss 22. Does anyone have any info/opinions on either of these regs? Any help is greatly appreciated....cheers

I own the Abyss 22 with the cold water add on and love it. I'm going tech next year and just bought another to match. I don't know much about the Zeagle but I've dove cold 42 deg. f water in lake Huron as well as other lakes and quarries 100+ feet and have never had a problem with my Abyss.

I have a Mares Abyss 22 with CWD kit and have been very pleased with it. We dove 33* F fresh water last winter to 100' and so far this winter have been to 130' and 35* F with out issue. Those temps are top to bottom in the St. Lawrence, no thermocline. As with all regs when in a drysuit , don't breathe and inflate at the same time in real cold waters. That is when problems will begin. Currently hitting the water with HP 119 @ 3400psi, chills to 3100psi.

I don't dive either but I frequently service both. I'd give Mares the (slight) performance advantage with the automatic venturi feature. However coldwater divers (myself included) want something with a user adjustment just incase of freeflow. Both first stages are diaphragms so performance will be similar. Both can be environmentally sealed however Mares requires an add on kit wich gets filled with a scillicone based liquid (wich can be pricey). Both manufacterers offer free parts kits if you have them serviced at authorized dealers and maintain documented annual service records. So in summary if you will be regularly using your reg in <45 degree temps, I'd go Zeagle, due to the lower service cost and user adjustments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom