Zeagle ranger BCD ???? I am a big guy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calabash digger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving a cheaper BCD and I am right at the limits of its sizing. I have been looking at the Zeagle Ranger and the upgraded ranger version which come in sizes up to 3x and 4 x. Anyone have any experience with the Rangers? BTW I am 5 10 300 pound guy with big shoulders...

My extended family (Aunt, Uncle & Cousins) got me into diving, and they all had Zeagle Rangers which had been used for diving in the Keys for over a decade. My Uncle is a big guy and he had no issues with his.

I can’t speak to the newer models, but the originals where definitely high quality American products, I borrowed them all the time.

Happy Diving!

I have been diving a cheaper BCD and I am right at the limits of its sizing. I have been looking at the Zeagle Ranger and the upgraded ranger version which come in sizes up to 3x and 4 x. Anyone have any experience with the Rangers? BTW I am 5 10 300 pound guy with big shoulders...

I am around 6ft 1 weight about the same 300 pounds and I bought the X black XXL Scubapro. Has 4 sections for inserted weights, lots of attachment points and pockets. Fit's very nice and also has a bit of weight which I need so need to add less lead weights on the dives. Very comfortable as well.

get a backplate and wing and you don't have to worry about it... That will be echo'd by everyone else who responds to this post after me

Not really. I tried Xdeep and other backplates and wings but decided on the Xblack Scuba Pro. each to their own. :) I also bought a Cressi Digital console as well.

XXL XBLACK SCUBA PRO.jpg

I'm 6'4" 350 with a LONG torso. I currently dive a XXL scubapro knighthawk. I like it but I wish it was longer in the torso (such is the story of my life). I did have a zeagle covert before the knighthawk though and it was just about perfect fit wise but didn't have all the bells and whistles.

I'm 6'4" 350 with a LONG torso. I currently dive a XXL scubapro knighthawk. I like it but I wish it was longer in the torso (such is the story of my life). I did have a zeagle covert before the knighthawk though and it was just about perfect fit wise but didn't have all the bells and whistles.

Maybe try the Xblack I am also long in the torso maybe not as much as you but plenty of adjustment in the Xblack.

XBLACK SCUBA PRO.jpg

get a backplate and wing and you don't have to worry about it... That will be echo'd by everyone else who responds to this post after me

Something to consider trying if possible. Afterwards, you will either say that you like it or that you will go the traditional BC route. Good luck with your decision.

Well T-Bone missed his prediction, until now. The ranger is a good b/c, scuba pro also has some but a backplate will always fit even if you lose or gain weight and 100% customizable.

yeah, that was actually quite surprising. Given the weight especially, it's far better to go to a bp/w because you're guaranteed to find a fit. At 5'10" the OP is not particularly tall, and a lot of those 3x/4x bc's are designed for guys well over 6ft so there is a risk of a weird fit. 5'10" is smack dab in the middle of the "Standard" backplate size recommendation, and the harness means you can get it fit perfectly. Add to that the fact that the Ranger is damn near $1k, and you'll save a ton of money...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom