Zeagle Ranger with HP100 Steel Tank Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What have you guys found to be the happy balance for this combination? I don't feel completely comfortable and I'm not exactly sure what it is. I haven't been diving much in the last few years so haven't gotten the chance to experiment. Trying to get back into it more regularly and tune my gear.

With the heavier steel tank, do you think it would be more sensible to use the trim weight pockets at the rear of the BC next to the tank, or the main pockets up front? I only dive with about 4lbs, 6 the most.

Also, with the shorter steel tank, do you guys prefer the tank to ride higher or lower on your back?

I'm 5'9" average build 175-180lbs. It also seems I'm right on the upper edge of my Medium Ranger and may need to look into a used Large one or trading.

I have an HP 100, AL 63 and rent AL80's I'm afraid you'll have to deal with some trial and error because they're all going to trim out a little different. I always mount the tanks in the same spot though, My upper tank band on my Zeagle Scout goes just below the curvature of the top of the tank. I would suggest with the 100 you put your weight in your pockets. If I put too much weight in my back trim pockets there's a tendency to make like a turtle.

Like SJU, I was taught to mount the top of the valve at the top of the BC, regardless of tank, so you don't knock the back of your head with the valve.

I've only dove with HP80's and AL80's on my Ranger and they both work just fine. I don't care for the AL80's as they hit my tail bone when diving so I pefer to use the HP80's.

I usually dive with less than 10 pounds and only use the trim pockets in the rear of the BC.

I had the top strap right below the curve at the top of the tank. It wasn't until I rigged it up and looked in the mirror at home that I realized how low the tank was sitting on my back. The valve was almost near my shoulder blades.

I put the bottom strap pretty much against the tank boot, and I can actually now reach the tank valve over my shoulder. We'll see how that trims out next time I dive, but something tells me it'll be better. Still impossible for my head to touch the reg, and I can't really move the tank any higher without removing the boot.

sonic,

What you're seeing in the mirror is the full weight of the tank pulling it down. It's not going to ride in that position once you're in the water and get your BC straps cinched up properly. Not saying that you shouldn't give it a try and see how it works for you.

I can't reach my tank valve unless I reach behind me with my left hand and grab the bottom of the tank to push it away from my lower back and up a bit. But I've go old shoulders so my flexibility isn't what it used to be.

boat

sonic,

What you're seeing in the mirror is the full weight of the tank pulling it down. It's not going to ride in that position once you're in the water and get your BC straps cinched up properly. Not saying that you shouldn't give it a try and see how it works for you.

I can't reach my tank valve unless I reach behind me with my left hand and grab the bottom of the tank to push it away from my lower back and up a bit. But I've go old shoulders so my flexibility isn't what it used to be.

boat
That makes sense, but it seemed significantly low so this should be a decent starting point I suppose. I'm not too concerned about being able to reach the tank valve, but when I researched, that seemed to be the most common talking point "as long as you can reach your tank valve." I've never had to touch it below water. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom