Zeagle Shears worth the premium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering that a set of Zeagle shears and a case cost about twice what a generic set cost, are they worth the premium? Are they twice as durable/last twice as long?

I've never used the Zeagle shears, but have bought a number of the generic kind since I prefer shears to a knife (but carry both most of the time).

The generic shears I've purchased were generally bad. Lower quality "stainless steel" that rusted. I purchased two Trident shears that both fell out of their "holsters" on dives even though the velcro was sealed on them. The second pair fell out on the very first dive I did with them.

I bought the Dive Rite shears for triple the cost of a regular shears. Supposedly the coating keeps it from rusting. Guess what? It didn't. So now I'm back to regular shears. They're cheap and when they get rusted out, I'll buy a new pair.

Eezy-cut Trilobite. Smaller, easier/faster to deploy (IMHO), and will cut through anything the shears will (and then some)...

Here's the Trilobite demo video: YouTube - EEZYCUT demonstration

I purchased two Trident shears that both fell out of their "holsters" on dives even though the velcro was sealed on them. The second pair fell out on the very first dive I did with them.

I had some sheaths made out of 2" harness webbing for $5 (I supplied the webbing). It's a lot stiffer than the sheaths that come with the shears, works well. Or you can just run a sewing machine over the standard sheath vertically, the main problem is the pocket is too wide

Like fnfalman I just buy the cheap $9 ones and replace them... usually the pivot rusts first since it's not stainless

Last edited:
Trilobites are pretty nifty...

I find that most shears are sold with sheaths poorly adapted for diving. If the Zeagle shears come with a really good sheath, they might be worth the extra cost.

I vote for Eezycut as well! That is actually my primary cutting tool (still wear a knife,never use it) for NE Wreck Diving.

The problem you have with all the shears is that the Nut rusts out. If you are going to go with these, I prefer the DiveRite velcro design over the Zeagle snap design.

DR-AC3212-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom