Zebra Mussels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a reporter and am looking for divers who would be willing to talk about the issue. Some government officials have given the dive community a bad rap and have been throwing accusations around. Just wondering how you guys feel about the issue. Send me an email at mrupert@jrnl.com or give me a call at 703-846-8353. Or just post here. Any info, opinions, jokes, recipes, etc. would be great. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all. - Mike Rupert

Huh??? what are the government gods saying??? If you want info on these "lovely creatures" ask divers along the Great Lakes. The last time I dove in the Niagara River the river bed was covered several inches deep with them.

I once saw an instructor use his Leatherman to pull a shell out of a students hand. We were told to wear gloves!!! The student didn't. He learned the hard way.

I am originally from Michigan and have the scars on me feet to prove it. I hate these things and want to be sure people are aware of how horrible these things can be. Some divers and government "officials" still believe they were purposely put in the Quarry and others have said they "wouldn't be surprised" if Lake Rawlings suddenly started get clearer water in the next few summers. Just tyring to get the divers perspective on this and what some people are saying. I know most divers I have spoken to directly seem offended that many people think they don't care about the environment. Anyway who wants to send me an email or call, feel free. mrupert@jrnl.com, 703-846-8353

I don't have strong feelings about them (in Milbrook) one way or the other. I have heard that they were most likely introduced to the quarry by migrating water foul and not by the divers. If they were dependant on humans for introduction into new area's then I would say that this is even less of a problem since the quarry is not a natural body of water anyway. If, however, this is a pit-stop for birds that could carry them further south, then I would be concerned about the further spread of the critters. In any event I bet it's nothing that a few of those snakeheads could not take care of (kidding).

A bit off topic, but they really should have named the new DC MLB team the Snakeheads instead of the nationals.

Also, in addition to diving, I enjoy fishing. I used to wade in the potomac for this, but read an article in the Post about a month ago about the discovery of a male small mouth bass that had started to produce eggs. Polution had warped its chromosomes so much that this mutation happened. Guess I'm done with Kayaking and fishing the Potoamac for awhile.

Well Mike, here is a good link to give you some idea of the biology of the zeb's and it also has a handy data base that can you give more info. on a state-by-state basis.

http://octopus.gma.org/surfing/human/zebra.html

I am a biologist, I do mostly aquatic work and I do a great deal of malacology work. I won't bore you with all my opinions on zeb's, but as a biologist I will say that zeb's, while they may seem small and unimposing will cause many problems with any aquatic environments they come into contact with.

As a diver I don't really pay too close attention to them but I try to be very careful not to spread the little critters from water hole to water hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom