Zeiss 12mm and 32 mm are available...Now the bad news.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrKevbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been looking forward to the new Zeiss lenses. The stats are out and neither lens will fit the Nauticam and I assume other housings.

The 12mm UWA has a diameter of 81mm.

The 32mm has a diameter of 72mm.

There is a chance that the 32mm MAY work with the new 7"dome. The 7" was made for the Sony SEL1018 which has a diameter of 70mm. I have the 7" on order. when I get it I'll post actual dimension of the opening.

Was really looking forward to the 12mm...sigh. Now I am worried that the new Macro comming out in the fall will also be to rotund.

I just got back from a trip to Cozumel using the Sony 10-18 F/4 zoom in a Nauticam NA-NEX5R housing with the Zen 170mm optical glass port and the 20mm extension. I left before the gear had arrived so shot most at 10MM. This lens is around D-70mm and it was a close fit, I am sure at around 80mm the Ziess 12mm will be a problem without a new type of port being designed for the Nuaticam Mini housings. At $1250.00 A pop for the 12mm I see a much greater demand for the 10-18 zoom. I can't see much use underwater for the 32mm with a minimum focus distance of 1.2+feet when you can have the steller Zeiss 24mm which will focus to about six inches for about the same money.

The NEX line of lenses for underwater photography remains small compared to the outstanding number of quality lenses for the M43 camera line.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
So the 12mm wont fit the 7" dome port or the actual nauticam housing?

And phil, can you take a pic of the zen setup and extension?
Thx

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-00458.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4110006.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-4110010.jpg

This is the ZEN Underwater DP-170mm optical glass dome port mounted on the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the Olympus EM-5. The port and port extension will work on any of the Nauticam Mini (mirrorless camera) housings.

The attached photo of the Spotted Scorpionfish was taken in Cozumel Mexico with the Sony NEX-5R, Nauticam NA-NEX5R housing, Sony 10-18mm F/4 zoom set at 10mm and inches from the subject, ISO-200, F/10, 1/125th sec. with two Inon Z-240 strobes.

Phil Rudin

The attached photo of the Spotted Scorpionfish was taken in Cozumel Mexico with the Sony NEX-5R, Nauticam NA-NEX5R housing, Sony 10-18mm F/4 zoom set at 10mm and inches from the subject, ISO-200, F/10, 1/125th sec. with two Inon Z-240 strobes.

Phil Rudin

That lens appears to be sharper than the pancake with WA/fisheye adaptor or do you think its the Zen glass instead of nauticam?

This is easy, a $250.00 lens V. an $850.00 lens. The 16mm is at best average, adding W/A or fisheye adapter (more glass) does not make the lens any better.

If you want an idea of the difference go to photozone.de look at the lens reviews for NEX and compare the 10-18 to the review for the 16 pancake.

Phil Rudin

Well, we're not "dead in the water yet" with the new Zeiss lens. Both the 12mm and 32mm have a 65mm diameter focusing ring according to specs on Zeiss.com. The 18-55mm we use is 63mm, along with it's 68mm gear to fit into the 70mm port opening. The problem lies in Zeiss's decision to widen the barrel at the end for it's integrated hood system (an aesthetic decision I think). This is the part that won't fit into the current ports. The 65mm portion of the lens, maybe even with a gear, should squeeze into the 70mm opening.

The solution would be a 2 part port like the experimental port Edward Lai made for his use of the Canon 60mm macro with Metabone's adapter for the NEX housings ( a system he said he will make commercially available :). Basically it's an extension type collar that fits onto the housing with a wider opening. The lens or adapter would have to put on the camera after it's been put into the housing. The 2nd part of the port goes on last. It would be great if they made it so one could fit their complete line of SLR ports onto the mini-housings, especially since they've already got the female locking port down with their line of SLR locking extensions. Expect any such solution to be pricy.

Outside of the newly released 60mm Sigma, which won't do us much good, all other lens possibilities are just rumors. Supposedly Sony and Zeiss are working to release medium range zooms in the 16-70 and 16-105 range. The longer end could be used for super-macro with diopters. Both would be a nice replacement of the 18-55, as a single dive general purpose lens that might even fit into Port 72 with available extensions, but no release date or anything definite on the horizon, other then the Zeiss 50mm macro, which I suspect will have no wider than 65mm barrel, maybe less, and will be available supposedly by years end.

The waiting game continues for us NEX users.

Marsh

Zeiss macro 50mm coming out October 1. Have a look at BH Photo
Yeh no pictures yet lets hope it is a "normal" size :D

---------- Post added May 9th, 2013 at 01:18 PM ----------

This is easy, a $250.00 lens V. an $850.00 lens. The 16mm is at best average, adding W/A or fisheye adapter (more glass) does not make the lens any better.

If you want an idea of the difference go to photozone.de look at the lens reviews for NEX and compare the 10-18 to the review for the 16 pancake.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for the recommended site it is very good. And a German in Australia. Very good

I was thinking the same about a 2 part port system. I have the SEL1018, but I've been waiting a long time for the new 7" naughty dome. Ordered it when it was announced a couple months ago. I'm told I'm next on the list. I have a trip comming up 1st week of June. Hoping it makes it by then. I'll need WA lens.After dissapointment in the Galapagos with the Sony 16 mm and fisheye adapter I don't really want to use it. Was hoping the Zeiss 12mm would work with the 4.33 dome....no joy. If the 7" dome doesn't come in I'm thinking about picking up a Rokinon 8mm fisheye. Anyone with any experience with it?

Someone here had it and posted some pool pics if i recall. A lot of barrel distortion and reviews i read were not to positive on its sharpness either. Why dont you pickup the new sony 20mm, which is supposed to be sharper than the 16mm and attach the fisheye to that? It'll still be WA but the new lens should be better and yield sharper, more uniform pics. Or you could use the sigma 19 which someone here said was better than the 16 pancake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom