Zeiss 12mm and 32 mm are available...Now the bad news.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just picked up a Z24mm second hand for $750 (around US$690) to us eon my NEX7. Very excited. Didn't realise how close it can focus wow. Getting my Nauticam housing serviced so will just practice topside first.

Hi all. Just wanted to share a few photos from this weekend with the nex 10-18 using the Nauticam 7" dome port. Was my first attempt with such a set up. Was in about a foot of water. Most shots around f11 or f16. Never realized how hard it is to see the screen. Had to try and use the view finder while holding my breath. Couldn't fit the snorkel in mouth and look at the same time! No photo shop has been done yet. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 282
quick update. i just received my z32 and checked fitment with my nauticam nex 5r housing and 4.33" dome port. it all fits great! :D

i just did some quick shots topside to check focus distance, AF speed, etc. i managed to focus macro to about 12" from the object. not bad, but not as good as the 6" z24. sharpness, colors, IQ is incredible with this lens. i cant wait to do more topside pics with this lens. the body fits no problem in the housing with port attached and there is nice distance from the lens to the port glass. the z24 is defiintely a tighter fit and very, very close to the port glass. not sure how useful the 32mm will be underwater but i do all my shots topside at around 32mm so im quite excited to take this lens through its paces. one thing i noticed even when i tested it at the show was the very quick AF, but slightly strange. it is always trying to AF so you get constant up and down focusing from the motor even if not in use but camera on. zeiss rep at the show told me they did this to improve AF speed, which it does do very well, but can be annoying. a workaround is to put the camera to sleep after 10 seconds so it shuts off the AF motor until you press the shutter half way again to wake it up. i will try this out in the field as i now have my camera wake setup to be around 1 min of inactivity. anyway, i thought this post may be of help to anyone considering this lens for the time being. i am personally waiting for the zeiss 12 and new glass port. it will be pricey for both items, for sure over $2k but may be the ultimate setup for the nex wide-angle user.

I tested the 20mm with the WA and FE adapters. Along with the Sigma 60mm using the extension tubes for super-macro.

I used a copy stand, graph paper and objects to show maximum magnification and working distances in super-macro with the Sigma, as compared to the 18-55. Results were excellent with much higher magnification than what the 18-55 provided. Of course, with the extensions tubes on, it's like going down with the +10 diopters on for the entire dive. so one would be limited with the kind of images they can focus on.

The Sony 20mm performed very well with the WA amd FE adapters. I shot some very detailed pictures in the desert to make 100% comparisons in the corners where the 16mm was weak with and w/o both adapters.

In the meantime, the big news coming out of the Sony rumor mill is the upcoming release of the Zeiss 16-70 f4 NEX zoom. From what I've read, it's be released in a couple weeks. Sony has set the dates publicly for major photographic product announcements in Germany on the 26th (read that last night, but can't find the article today to provide a link). The lens won't be cheap, maybe around $1000, but it should be razor sharp and small. The f4 size should keep the width of the lens small enough to fit our Nauticam mini ports. This will be a good sharp replacement for the 18-55 kit. A little wider and longer reach for macro with diopters. If we're lucky, it'll fit our Port 72 with perhaps the addition of the 10 or 20mm mini-port extensions currently available. Of course, it's a rumor, but this one is so hyped I suspect there's some truth in it. I'd love a 16-70mm zoom for my NA-NEX7, especially if it will work with my Port 72 and diopter swing mount. I guess we'll know in a couple weeks.

I'll try to post results from the Sigma 60 and Sony 20mm-WA-FE as soon as I get some time. Just way too busy right now.

I tested the 20mm with the WA and FE adapters. Along with the Sigma 60mm using the extension tubes for super-macro.

I used a copy stand, graph paper and objects to show maximum magnification and working distances in super-macro with the Sigma, as compared to the 18-55. Results were excellent with much higher magnification than what the 18-55 provided. Of course, with the extensions tubes on, it's like going down with the +10 diopters on for the entire dive. so one would be limited with the kind of images they can focus on.

The Sony 20mm performed very well with the WA amd FE adapters. I shot some very detailed pictures in the desert to make 100% comparisons in the corners where the 16mm was weak with and w/o both adapters.

In the meantime, the big news coming out of the Sony rumor mill is the upcoming release of the Zeiss 16-70 f4 NEX zoom. From what I've read, it's be released in a couple weeks. Sony has set the dates publicly for major photographic product announcements in Germany on the 26th (read that last night, but can't find the article today to provide a link). The lens won't be cheap, maybe around $1000, but it should be razor sharp and small. The f4 size should keep the width of the lens small enough to fit our Nauticam mini ports. This will be a good sharp replacement for the 18-55 kit. A little wider and longer reach for macro with diopters. If we're lucky, it'll fit our Port 72 with perhaps the addition of the 10 or 20mm mini-port extensions currently available. Of course, it's a rumor, but this one is so hyped I suspect there's some truth in it. I'd love a 16-70mm zoom for my NA-NEX7, especially if it will work with my Port 72 and diopter swing mount. I guess we'll know in a couple weeks.

I'll try to post results from the Sigma 60 and Sony 20mm-WA-FE as soon as I get some time. Just way too busy right now.

Hey Marshmellow,

I am really looking forward to some of your shots with the sigma 60. Will you take some shots with a macro lens too?
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Cheers

bjfspeedy,

I'll get those posted fairly soon. Unfortunately, they're just technical shots of graph paper and coins to illustrate magnification levels, corner sharpness and maybe CA. Mostly they were done to compare working distance because of the limited macro when using extension tubes. I won't be returning to the Philippines for real life macro shots until Dec, and even then, I hope to be using the soon to be released Zeiss 16-70. Recently released photos show it having a 55mm filter size, add about 12-14mm more for lens casing (as with 18-55) and one is at 68-69mm physical width. The current 18-55 kit lens uses 49mm filters and has a 62mm maximum width. The Nauticam standard mini-port system has a maximum opening of 70mm. So, if the 55mm filter size holds true for the Z16-70, then Nauticam will have to make a custom port for it with he zoom knob on the port, similar to the focus control on new Canon 60mm macro port they just released for NEX. There simply won't be any room left to squeeze in a focus gear even if the lens fits within the 70mm. I was hoping it would have been a bit narrower like the 18-55 or Sigma 60 both having 49mm filters and fitting into Port 72. I get the feeling from what I've read, that this won't be the case with the Z16-70 :-( Apparently the lens OSS system gave it a bit more girth. Still, even if I have to buy another port, I'm extremely happy a sharp 16-70 will be made available for UW NEX. This will be a very versatile single dive lens set-up for seascapes and super-macro using diopters. Hopefully we'll see the final specs within the next week or so. In the meantime, while I wait for the re;ease of ports, etc, I know the Sigma 60 fits perfectly in my Port 72 with 26mm of extension tubes. I've seen the S60 going used on eBay for $150. So for under $200 one has a very sharp, low CA and high magnification set-up for Port 72, very limited use mind you, but it works for SM.

I'm not sure what macro lens you're referring to when you ask that I take some macro shots too? If you're referring to the Sigma 60, it's only good for UW super-macro, really nothing else. Nice portrait lens top-side though from what I've read.

Cheers

bjfspeedy,

I'm not sure what macro lens you're referring to when you ask that I take some macro shots too? If you're referring to the Sigma 60, it's only good for UW super-macro, really nothing else. Nice portrait lens top-side though from what I've read.

Cheers

Hi Marshmellow,

Thanks for all the info. I actually meant wet diopters when I was talking about macro lenses.... Sorry.
When you talk about super macro, what magnification are you talking about 1:2 or 1:1?
Thanks so much

Cheers

1:1 and more when it comes to super-macro. This can be achieved with wet diopters depending on the magnification and design of the lens they are used with. Generally the longer the lens. the higher magnification when using diopters. This is why the 60mm Sigma has higher magnification than the 18-55 kit lens.

OKAY, NOW THE BIG NEWS! The new Sony/Zeiss 16-70 lens has been announced and I have mine on pre-order at Amazon at $998. They're to be released in mid-Sept. I checked the specs on DPREVIEW and this lens will most likely work for the Nauticam mini-port system. It will be very close though: The lens has a diameter of 67mm and a length of 75. In comparison, the 18-55 has a 63mm width by 60mm length. The Sony 10-18 on the other hand is 70mm wide which is why they had to make a custom thinner port to squeeze it in because the standard mini-port maximum ID is 70mm. The focus gear on my 18-55 is made of very thin metal and maybe be .5 to.75 mm thick. So depending on how the gear connects the the zoom collar, Nauticam most likely will be able to use it in Port 72 with a 20mm extension which they currently produce. This would be nice because it will keep the costs down. Most likely they also make a custom port to better utilize the 16mm and maximize the use of the lens, which would be better than Port 72. I would suspect they will make two versions, one flat port for higher magnification like they did with Port 72 and perhaps a semi-dome like the 4" dome they made for the 18-55. However, it will be close depending on the mechanics of the gear to the lens. The fact that they pulled it off with the 10-18 and made a zoom gear to fit tells me they can do it with the Z16-70.

Soon the Zeiss 50mm macro will also be released, scheduled for October or soon after.

Us NEX users are finally getting our glass :)

Cheers,

Marshall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom