Zeiss 18 mm and Sony/Ikelite A6300 reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My reviews for these new products are now ready for download at uwpmag.com. This is a FREE PDF download with both articles.

IkeA6300Front.jpg
Zeiss18mmFront.jpg

Hey Phil, thanks for your continued reviews on all these new Sony cams and lenses. Really informative (even though I can't yet splurge on the full frame rigs myself).

Have you had a chance to compare output from an RX100 model camera setup to an APS-C e-mount camera like the a6000 or a6300? What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of each setup?

You can go back to page five on this forum and find my review of the RX100 III. Not apples to apples to compare a compact non-interchangeable lens camera to an APS-C or Full frame interchangeable lens camera. Price points are not the same, how they can be used is not the same and all can produce excellent images. dozens of posts on this forum for you to checkout regarding RX100.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned I've been using the RX100 II with a wet wide angle lens and been very pleased with the quality. I shoot an FE kit topside, so I've thought of switching to APS-C e-mount for an underwater rig. Just curious about the pros/cons of each setup from what you've experienced.

You can find my reviews for RX100, NEX-7, A6300, A7 II, A7R II and several lenses at uwpmag.com. They point out the pros and cons for of each system.

Phil in your article you make the following statement:

Lenses like the E-mount 16-50mm kit lens can also be used for closeup and macro which can reach 0.9:1 at 46 mm with the Nauticam CMC-1 C/U lens​

Can you expand on this, I thought Ikelite recommended the 6" port for the 16-50mm lens, how does the CMC-1 fit over that port, is there another way to get the full range on teh 16-50mm?

This would be using a flat port and the 50mm end of the lens, not so much shifting between 16 and 50mm. The new Sony FE 50mm F/2.8 macro would be a much better choice for macro with the Nautical CMC or SMC lenses.

Thank you, I was hoping I'd be able to use the full lens and then go to macro, but that seems unlikely. Coming from a G15 in a housing I'm trying to figure out some ability to maintain the flexibility I have now but up my sensor size and other capabilities.

The Sony E PZ 16-50 power zoom is a lens not yet fully supported by Ikelite in its new housing, this will probably change going forward. The potential for the "flexibility" you are looking for exists. Nauticam has a flat port for the power zoom with 67mm threads which works with closeup lenses like CMC-1 and CMC-2 as well as the WWL-1 super wide angle accessory lens. Expensive items but still cheaper than an macro lens and port plus W/A lens and port from Nauticam.

The Ikelite system is a work in progress being new.

Thanks again Phil, can you explain a little more of what you mean by "not fully supported" which parts of the lens don't work? Looking at ikelites port chart here: http://www.ikelite.com/images/products/housings/general/mil-port-charts.pdf it appears they think the 16-50 works in the 6" port as is, but in the 8" port you can't control zoom, is this correct or does it not work in the 6" port.

I can't tell if you're referring to that, or that you can't use the flat port to stack an adapter. Truthfully I'm not interested in the Nauticam housing as I much prefer to use a wired slave setup for faster recycle time and to spare the cameras battery (which I understand is already an issue on the Sony). The Aquatica housing looks interesting when/if it becomes actually available as well.

Back
Top Bottom