Zen Underwater DP 100 port review (for Panasonic 8mm fisheye)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My review for the new ZEN Underwater DP 100 optical glass dome port is now out at, UwP = Your free Underwater Photography Magazine | Home page this is a free PDF download for the next two months. Also checkout my review on diving in the Philippines.

Phil Rduin P6240010.jpgP8210119.jpgP4270983.jpgP4271113.jpg

Hi Phil.

And thanks for an exellent articel and photos.

I have a question for you:
You write in the articel that you also use the Olympus 12mm F/2 lens with good results (and also show a good exampel of that!), now I dont own the Zen DP-100 dome but the acrylic Precision dome for the Olympus original housing, and wondering if you have tested the same 12mm lens in that one? (dome+ Oly housing).

Or if you think that that combination would produce the same or simular results?
It seems like a smashing lens and would love to get it if it works for my dome/housing options!

Cheers!

I have never used the Precision dome port with any lens. I have used the 12mm with the Nauticam 4.33 inch port on a Nauticam Mini housing and it works with that port as well. The 12mm works best with the Zen Underwater 170mm n120 port mounted direct to the housing, great for over/under work.

Image is the 12mm with the ZEN 170mm dome, I see little difference between this lens at 12mm and the 12-40 at 12mm for the same task. Two different Zen 170mm ports involved. The 12-40 needs the Zen 170mm n85 port which has 25mm of extension for longer lenses like the 12-40, 12-35, 7-14, 9-18, 12-50 zooms

Attachments

• P4180050-2.jpg
    P4180050-2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 409
Thanks for your answer Phil.

I see no other solution than to buy the lens and try it out in the Precision dome.
If it dont work I still think I will be happy using the lens for OW photos.

Please keep writing your exellent articels and post your great photos!

Cheers

I think this port will work well with the smaller lenses like the Olympus 12 and 17mm as well as the Panasonic pancake type lenses. The 12mm is a great above water lens as well, use it a lot as a travel lens when I want to go light, very close focus.

Which port would you suggest for Oly 9-18 other than the 170m dome? I am assuming that a Wide Angle perhaps the 4.33 would provide good results?

I think this port will work well with the smaller lenses like the Olympus 12 and 17mm as well as the Panasonic pancake type lenses. The 12mm is a great above water lens as well, use it a lot as a travel lens when I want to go light, very close focus.
Phil,

You are right. This port works well with other lenses too. I had it on the housing for an Olympus Pen M4/3. Here is a shot of two Indigo Hamlets I took with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (f1.8???) pancake lens.

TCI-46-L.jpg

A

A

A

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom