ZenDiva Newbie OW Cert Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11-11-05

I’m hitting the water today; I’ve got my slowly growing collection of gear packed along with a couple of changes of clothes and towels. I’m on my way to meet Walter first at the dive shop, so I can get a weight belt then off to the pool. Mind you I’m having a mild stress attack on the way as it’s been years since I’ve been in a pool!

Ok, we meet a couple of other diver’s at the shop, I get my weight belt and we’re off…
Gear brought in and set up poolside and I’m looking at a very lovely pool which is now going to be my worst enemy I fear….

First thing I’m asked to do is swim underwater the length of the pool and back…UT OH! (Now I know I cannot hold my nose underwater in front of Walter and this is going to be a problem, water in the nose!!!!) ok…I can’t even get ½ way across the pool (Di run fast! You can’t swim under water!!!)…..

ok next….I have to swim 300 yards…my biggest fear with this is my shoulder and I’m afraid of it giving out on me….I start swimming back and forth, back and forth, back and forth…I’m using a Scissor stroke I remembered from when I was a kid (my ex used to make fun of me for that, but Hell it paid off! Cause it came in very handy today….your legs do most of the work…and my legs can take a lot so this is a big plus for me). I get to one point and I’m thinking UGH! Isn’t it 300 yards yet? When will it end! Someone drown me!!! But then I concentrate, I’m not giving up…Walter will not see me be some whiney baby….I can leg press 400+ lbs I can swim a lousy 300 yards….suddenly he’s telling me how if I were doing any other type of certification I’d be done, so not fair! But.ok 100 yards to go! Finally finished! I’m rather impressed with myself as it’s been years since I actually had to swim any distance and this was the part I was most worried about. Thank you Walter, Thank you Walter it’s over!!!!!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!! Ok it wasn’t really all that bad…LOL

I’m allowed to take a rest, sit in the sun, warm up a bit…did I mention the water is only like 72 degrees? Then back to swimming under again….ok this time I get all the away across and rip a nail off (OUCH!!) ..But I forgot to make the turn and start back (UGH!)l
We’ll put that one on the back burner….now I have to tread water, drown proofing and float for 15 consecutive minutes. Walter gets in the pool with me and we are both treading water, (5 minutes is a long time actually) so we are sharing jokes (Walter is very good and has some great jokes) I start laughing too much and feel myself going down LOL, treading water is a cinch…it’s like sitting on a bike bicycling underwater…now drown proofing (UT OH!) I can’t do this cause I CAN”T KEEP MY FACE IN THE WATER! I’m thinking that’s it Did, you’re done, you’ll never pass but no…Walter tells me to just float, so I start floating, I relax….and I am listening to my breathing and the trickle of the pool filter under water and anytime I feel myself going down I just pick up my hips…and before I know it I could just doze off but then the shivering chills set in and I’m like dang I could’ve used a nap about now! After 10 minutes of floating I’m like ok, that wasn’t so bad.

Now we get out booties, snorkels, fins and Walter explains the beer rule, ok it goes both ways, fair enough but I’m thinking by the time I’m done Walter will probably have a case or two of his favorite beer. We are in the water again with the snorkels and he’s showing me how to blow..(I’m not going there, I’m going to behave myself), now to stick my face in the water and breath through the snorkel…ut oh! Problem…my first reaction is you’re suffocating!!! Obviously I’m not I can breath through the snorkel so it’s just taking me some time to get the hang of this cause I automatically want to breath through my nose and I can’t. I go slow, force myself to relax and just concentrate on relaxing (ok one point I grabbed hold of the side of the pool and was reminded that the ocean does not have any sides to hold onto grrrr why not? LOL) well before I know it my face is actually in the water and I’m breathing through the snorkel.

Now Walter drops his snorkel and tells me to do the same. Hmmmmm I notice that mine is just laying on its side however Walter has a very erect snorkel. So Ladies take note when you’re diving and Walter is around…ask to see his Very Erect Snorkel *wink* You will not be disappointed!

Walter has me sinking to the bottom (mental note, keep out of the deep end with this weight belt weighted down like this!) to flood my snorkel and then coming up and blasting it clear while I’m still in the water…only problem I’m having is that my body automatically once I blast wants to take a deep breath, again through my nose so I’m UGH! Concentrate!!! I do get it finally and we get out to warm up and break for lunch.

11-11-05 Continued:

I’m sitting there in dry clothes, eating hot soup and still can’t warm up…we get back to the pool and decided to finish up our classroom work today.

Classroom session:

Ok we are back at Walter’s house and I’m nice n dry and comfy in my comfy sweats and the house is nice and warm, and his couch is very cozy and all I can think of right now is how I’d like to just curl up in the corner there and take a nap! LOL no such luck *pout*

We go over Marine environment, sea life and diving conditions today.

We discuss water temperatures, regions, visability. I found it very intereseting that the East coast waters are generally warmer then the West coast and the differences in water temperatures in relation to wild life.

We discuss the different tides and different currents. Also, how they effect us when diving and we discuss waves, how they are formed, their movement and how they affect the diver.

We also discuss different forms of diving ie: shore diving vs boat diving and how the currents and waves affect each. How to get in and out of the water while doing each.

Then onto sea creatures and injuries one can sustain from them. (note to anyone who dives with Walter: if he touches something DON”T TOUCH IT YOURSELF!) I think I will follow my Mom’s advise from when I was little…Look but Do Not Touch!. We also discussed different specialty training (I’m seeing an Advanced and Nitrox class in my near future).

All in all a productive day, obviously I need to get over my nose in the water, I’m going to suffocate issue, but as Walter stated it’s a mental thing and something I’ll just have to work a little harder on.

Today I’m unable to lift my right arm, my shoulder is in a great deal of pain but the part I was dreading is over…I’m off to the dive shop to rent a wet suit for tomorrow, now this should be interesting LOL.

Someone also gave me a tip to sit on the couch with my mask and snorkel on, watch something I'd be very interested in while breathing through my snokel. In order to get more accostomed to breathing through my mouth and the snorkle I'll give this a try later....

Thx so much for keeping up with the updates, ZenDiva! :05:

That's the most important thing...Having a good instructor that will take the time and make you truely feel comfortable....There's nothing worse than a BAD first time out....Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself....Keep up the good work....

Ah! A trip down memory lane... very enjoyable. And don't forget those Italian hand signs, they will come in handy....
Dive practice in fall and winter: bring a thermos of warm water to heat your wetsuit, and another of something pleasantly tasty for your insides. Never underestimate the thermal value of beanies, gloves and boots. Warm sweats and socks for after diving (I've discovered those spongy swim towels in the auto department of Wal-Mart -- no more soggy towels!)

Relax and enjoy -- it's a whole new world!

Back
Top Bottom