Zero to Hero Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you actually want to be a good diver, then a good instructor the best thing to do is not a zero to hero class. Take a dive class, go dive. Take another class, dive some more. Repeat that for some different classes and THEN do a DM program. Then go dive and work. THEN to an IDC. Anything less is a did-service both to you and to any prospective future students.

Something that has not been covered yet is the difference between being a certified diver and a pro. When you go professional, including dive master, you now carry liability. You also work in a recreational industry that thousands of people see as a "fun" job. The people that have fun are the ones that are on vacation. The pro's are working their tails off for very little money because there are so many people becoming pro that think it will be fun.

Now this is not to say you can't have fun while working in diving as a career, however it is a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. The majority of operations see people that only dive once to a few times per year, their skills are questionable, and often the lack of skills is dangerous. As a "pro" you need to keep yourself and them safe. When accidents do happen, which they will, then come the lawyers.

I no longer am a pro however I have been in the diving industry for a long time both part and full time. Like any other industry there is good and bad. Like any recreational industry there are a lot of people that are trying to make a living, with the high supply there is no ability to demand good pay. I presently have a small niche company that combines all of my engineering and corporate experience with my diving experience. It is still a lot of work and if I were in it for the money I would go back to the corporate world. Then I could take my vacations and let the "pro's" cater to me. It is a passion and for you, at this stage, it is impossible to know if diving is your passion yet.

My advice is, if you are young, get training and/or an education in something that will give you a solid long term career. If you are already in a career keep working to move up the ladder. Take up diving and try it on the fun side first. Then if you want to go "pro" come back to this thread and follow the advice that has already been given, most likely from those with direct experience.

Good luck,

Why do you want divemaster? I think going to somewhere warm and wonderful to do all the courses up to and including rescue sounds much nicer than here in England in the winter. Then you can go do some diving. Where are you going to dive? Here in UK? If so make sure you get drysuit training too. I would also say do the nitrox and oxygen first aid courses. All that lot should give you more than enough to fill a couple of months spare time.

If you want to "go round the world" with a divemaster card to part pay towards a long holiday then come back to the UK and do it here in a year or so. Gets some dives in here. The divemaster card from Thailand on a zero to hero course isn't worth much and a lot of places will not give you any work, But if you have the time and money to do it why not get all the other training done in a warm and pleasant place. With another 50 or more logged dives in the UK and a UK based divemaster cert you will be in a much better position to achieve any goals you might have.

The people who want you to become a divemaster are, in most cases, people who will directly benefit financially from your learning to become a divemaster. Either you are paying them a chunk of money or you are cleaning boats and filling tanks that otherwise they would have to pay someone $10/day to do in exchange for training.

It is very hard to make any money as a DM. In resorts I've been to, the DMs are either (3rd world) local people living on tips from divers (which they can do because of the low cost of living in the 3rd world as a local) or (in Hawaii etc) highly experienced instructors who lead dives when nobody is taking a class.

Zero to hero? You certainly have found the right place. There are plenty of "dive factory" on the island and they are more than willing to release your sterling in no time at all.
BTW, make sure you choose the right time of the year to go there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom