Zero to hero - top schools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is such a semantic argument that it is really a red herring.

Remember this: what do you call the student in med school who met minimum standards and had to be passed?

Answer: Doctor.
Exactly my point, they all get the same credential, the good and the bad, and there are no state boards to pass later, as there are for a physician.

Exactly my point, they all get the same credential, the good and the bad, and there are no state boards to pass later, as there are for a physician.
Not to mention that a new MD also has to prove themselves during their internship and residency. Hey, there's an idea. . .

Not to mention that a new MD also has to prove themselves during their internship and residency. Hey, there's an idea. . .
... and a rather good one at that.

It's impossible to generalize accurately about courses, programs or the students in them. We do not call our internships "zero to hero" although about a third of those that join us have never been certified. But by blanket saying you wouldn't hire them or that top schools wouldn't have such programs is pure oversimplification. Virtually all of our instructors land jobs and have kept those jobs for years and are quality instructors. Good schools (and ours is one of those) make sure those who should not be instructors don't become one. Standards are there for a reason.

For the OP, I urge you to take a look at us here in Aquanauts. We offer both $10,000 and a $6,000 programs so all price needs can be met. We have an unrivaled pass rate on the PADI instructor exam , the best job placement of any similar program and exacting standards.

ok... please feel free to flame me if this has been brought up and I missed it in my speedreading through the thread.....

but....

don't these two statements or claims conflict slightly??

what about zero to hero to zero?

that aside, I am not an advocate of this "zero - hero" scheme.

akin to putting blinders on, you need to really get out there and experience all there is to offer - personal learning, professional learning, technical learning - no one shop offers everything, you got to get experience by learning different ways of doing things in different places with different people. In the end, future customers are going to have a plethora of issues, concerns, dive styles, communication styles - the only way you'll learn how to deal with them all is by having a solid, broad foundation in the science, business, and teaching of SCUBA.

It's just scuba, 10 year olds can do it.

The problem is your use of the word minimum as a modifier for standard. In that context, it is meaningless. I know you disagree that it actually turns out this way, but when the term standard is applied to education, then the bad do not pass the standard. Can you think of another single modifier you could put in its place that would change the meaning?

Here is a classic example from semantics instruction:
Green army advances 10 miles.
Green army stopped cold.​
Both statements can be true, but they imply two different things. It is a classic method used in propaganda to influence an audience.

Here are two ways of saying the same thing about PADI:
PADI has established standards, and students must demonstrate mastery of every one in order to be certified.
In PADI, students will be certified if they meet minimum standards.

Both statements mean the same thing, but they sure don't sound the same.

ok... please feel free to flame me if this has been brought up and I missed it in my speedreading through the thread.....

but....

Good schools (and ours is one of those) make sure those who should not be instructors don't become one.

We have an unrivaled pass rate on the PADI instructor exam

don't these two statements or claims conflict slightly??
If Aquanauts had very high standards and PADI had very low standards, you'd expect their students to enjoy a high pass rate on the PADI exam at the same time that Aquanauts weeded out the sub-standard students, wouldn't you? Flunking students isn't the same as making sure they don't become instructors, but it's certainly a large step in that direction, I would think.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

PER TOS: This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Thank you for your cooperation. :)
Carolyn:shark2:

Back
Top Bottom