ZHL-16/GF AI computer with "bookmark" feature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Since it's easier to ask here than downloading a bunch of user manuals and reading them thoroughly, I'm doing the former.

Background:
I bought my gear used. By chance, the PDC coming with it was a Suunto Cobra. Hose AI, which made me appreciate AI even if I'm a luddite and quite sceptical to AI and particularly hoseless AI. Currently, I've attached a boltsnap to it and clipping it to my left hip D-ring, SPG style. But after buying a backup computer which I carry on my wrist, I've started to appreciate having my data more easily available. So I'm considering an unnecessary drain on my disposable income AKA my toy fund and buying a replacement. However, I really, really appreciate the "bookmark" feature on my Cobra. It's invaluable for synchronizing my computer's clock and my camera's clock and tagging my photos with the depth where the picture was taken.

Core question:
If I ever were to replace my Cobra with a PDC using a more transparent algorithm (typically, Bühlmann with GF), the replacement would have to have the "bookmark" feature, and the ability to download the depth profile with those bookmarks. Are there any PDCs out there which combine ZHL-16/GF with downloadable depth profiles and user "bookmarks"? Preferably compatible with the Diving Log software?

You could cheat a bit and add a 22% gas to a shearwater and just do a gas switch back and forth. Any software should recognize the gas switch and tag it.

What is the advantage of this bookmark feature compared to setting both your computer and camera to the correct time? Both are going to be capable of much more timekeeping accuracy that you need to be able to know how deep you were when a given picture was taken.

What is the advantage of this bookmark feature compared to setting both your computer and camera to the correct time?
Neither my computer nor my camera displays seconds, so I'm looking at up to 2 minutes deviation. Given that I'm using the depth profile data to tag my subject's "elevation" - or, rather, depth, almost 2 minutes deviation is too much. It may not be for others, but a majority of my dives are over a sloping bottom, and I seldom stay at the same depth. Usually, it's either downhill or uphill.

And saves me the hassle of having to remember to synchronize the devices every time. If they're out of sync it won't be a problem later, since my computer remembers what its time was when I took the picture. And my camera's time is embedded in the image file.

Scubapro Galileo has such a feature. It's covered on page 54 in the manual: https://www.scubapro.com/sites/scubapro_site/files/galileo_luna_eng.pdf

Edit:
I looked in the shearwater manual. I think I finally found a feature that shearwater is missing! I personally don't use bookmarks. I can see the utility, especially when combined with video/photography. See something cool? Hit bookmark. Later, you'll know right where to look in your video.

@Storker G2 uses ZHL-16 ADT MB but I don't believe it supports gradient factors. The older Galileo are ZHL-8 based (which I prefer over ZHL-16 for NDL diving). There are some configurable conservatism settings but I don't think it's an infinitely configurable GF like you'd have on a technical computer.

Not photography related unfortunately, but a company that was acquired by GoPro and seemingly deprecated used to make an application that would sync with a data source and overlay a graphic with whatever telemetry data you fed it. I have seen several videos of scuba dives where the computer data was used and it showed depth/time/deco/etc. over the video of the dive.

Shame it’s seemingly defunct, it was a cool feature for the video realm.

Neither my computer nor my camera displays seconds, so I'm looking at up to 2 minutes deviation.
The metadata from all the digital cameras I've owned shows the capture time to the second.
My Shearwaters also display seconds in the downloaded data.

The metadata from all the digital cameras I've owned shows the capture time to the second.
My Shearwaters also display seconds in the downloaded data.

But you have to sync the clocks to the second. How often would depend on the drift, which you would have to figure out for both devices. Better have an atomic reference clock so you don't have to figure it out from two unknowns. And if you're a vacation diver: better keep them all in UTC so you don't have to remember to change the time zone. (Half of my logs are in CDT: I forget.)

But you have to sync the clocks to the second.
That's best, of course. But just knowing the offset between them gets the job done.

That's best, of course. But just knowing the offset between them gets the job done.

Assuming the fixed offset...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom