Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A chinese market on that street was robbed by three armed men. I assume it is my favorite small market on Bonaire, Zhung Kong.

Can anyone confirm? So sad if true.

Bonaire's facebook forum has a post on two armed robberies. Not sure if one is what you are referring to.

wwguy on the BonaireTalk forum, page 3 of this thread, reported:

I just read that our favorite local family-owned grocery store on Bonaire was robbed by 3 armed men last night.

From the Bonaire police website (English translation by Google): "On Tuesday, July 29, an armed robbery took place around 20:45 pm on a Chinese supermarket located on Bulevar Gobernador Nicolaas Debrot. Three masked and armed men walked into the supermarket and demanded money from the cash register. After they receive this, they ran on foot behind the building along road."

Zhung Kong market in Hato, across the street from WEB water plant, is the only market along this road. (For those that don't know, this is the main road north between Kralendijk and the northern hotels and dive sites.) This market is owned and managed by a friendly Chinese family and stocks a wide variety of American-style items and thus receives considerable tourist traffic. In the past year or so Pasa Bon Pizza and Lover's Ice Cream, also frequented by tourists along this same road, have been robbed by armed men too.

So, looks like it was them.

Richard.

A real shame. The Kong is almost a daily stop for me and my buddy. Hope the Police find these armed robbers and chum them off the east side.

Disturbing - stories of armed robberies at places I frequent. Was never that concerned with "all the crime posts" for Bon as most involved petty theft from trucks at dive sites or thefts from rooms that were not occupied. This is another level altogether.

Who didn't see this coming? Broken window theory - nuisance crimes and behaviors unchecked and escalating.

Disturbing - stories of armed robberies at places I frequent. Was never that concerned with "all the crime posts" for Bon as most involved petty theft from trucks at dive sites or thefts from rooms that were not occupied. This is another level altogether.

the worst part about the armed robberies is that the perps "escaped" on foot in both cases. they just walked away?!?!?!

the worst part about the armed robberies is that the perps "escaped" on foot in both cases. they just walked away?!?!?!

Yep. Or met up with 'friends' down the street. Bonaire FB forum reports the arrival of 3 officers from Aruba (though the picture shows 4). The caption states they are on Bonaire for a period still to be determined...

And the police Chiefette has been quoted on the Bonaire Reporter. I think she is headed in the right direction and is concerned and trying to be proactive from hence forth.
Check out the new Bonaire Reporter for the small article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom