Zika Threat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbchiro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are are worried about Zika and are thinking about postponing dive travel this year. What do the rest of you think about the risk of Zika in the Caribbean, Bonaire, Honduras, TCI, etc? I saw a news report that Puerto Rico had over 700 cases so far. Scary.

I just got back from Playa del carmen and spent a week down there and didn't get bit by the first mosquito and I didn't even have bug spray on. Don't postpone it, go for it! You've got better chances winning $500 on a scratch off ticket than you do of getting Zika

I wouldn't postpone a trip because of Zika.
The threat of malaria, dengue and other mosquito borne diseases have existed in many places without problems. Just use proper methods for prevention and enjoy the trip.

@mbchiro I agree with the others..I think you should go. I'm extremely allergic to mosquitoes--I get huge welts, sometimes the size of pancakes and usually 8-12 at a time without scratching so I am your unofficial expert here on how not to get bitten. Unfortunately for me, the mozzies are where the warmer waters are! Before Zika even came to light, my arsenal that has been tried and true includes:

DEET minimum of 15% (30% max, more is not necessary with minimal, if any, additional effect) or Picaridin 20%. My favorite picaridin is by Natrapel. When I have to use DEET, I like Off!. I've experimented with the latter and I get as good of protection from Picaridin 20% without the weird smell/texture and now I don't have to be so careful around polyesters and other plastics as with DEET.

Next up is Insect Shield treated clothing. The active ingredient is permethrin and is colorless, odorless, etc. If it's factory treated, it lasts up to 70 washings which is quite a lot. You can get permethrin yourself and treat your existing clothing but those only usually last a few weeks. My favorite products are from ExOfficio's BugsAway line and I swear by it whenever I travel. I know Craghoppers also makes some as well. Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but other biting flies, gnats, etc. The garments I purchased are really light and airy and can be layered so I've worn them and been spared from sandflies and mosquitoes in places such as New Zealand and humid Costa Rican/Mexican jungles, respectively. I've never looked back and I only now wonder why I even took so long to purchase them. Worth every dime I've spent to not be miserable and not have to worry about insect-borne illnesses as much.

Tell your wife I love the ExOfficio BugsAway Lumen Hoody and the Damselfly Pant. I usually layer the Lumen Hoody over a tank or something really minimal if it's really humid/warm out. I had the mozzies biting me through my regular clothing in Mexico and leaving my sprayed skin alone and they didn't touch me again after I wore this stuff the rest of the trip.

Let me know if you have any Q's. Best thing ever.

If your wife is on good birth control measures, what is the concern about Zika that you guys have?

I'd be concerned about dengue & chikungunya, if anything. Malaria if an area where it's apt to be a threat. I haven't been following the Zika scare that much, but what I've read sounds like the main concern is impact on developing children in the womb.

Richard.

If your wife is on good birth control measures, what is the concern about Zika that you guys have?

I'd be concerned about dengue & chikungunya, if anything. Malaria if an area where it's apt to be a threat. I haven't been following the Zika scare that much, but what I've read sounds like the main concern is impact on developing children in the womb.

Richard.

There has been a link to issues beyond women and pregnancies resulting in microcephaly birth defects. There are some neurological links including ADEM (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis), Buillain Barre syndrome, other central nervous system issues. There are enough preventative measures one can take to minimize or nearly eliminate getting bitten so it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but I understand those wanting to delay or cancel plans and tread carefully when it comes to traveling.

Another thing I wanted to add for the OP is that you can get Insect Shield treated mosquito netting--We had that as well and we got ours from Sea to Summit.

Would not let the Zika threat prevent me from traveling. Just take precautions. I used to be one who waited until the no-see-ums and mosquitos determined I was a good victim before taking precautions, which I guess would be better termed post-cautions, which is too late!! On a trip to St. Croix, I woke up sick as a dog on our travel home day (had nausea, which I'd never had before, achy joints, and fever; worst flight ever needless to say.) Went to doctor next day and got meds for nausea which I had for 3-4 days; doc thought maybe something gastrointestinal. Physically couldn't get out of bed for 1 week; able to sit in recliner some after that. Broke out with rash on legs for a couple of days . Achy joints and listlessness lasted for 4 weeks. Although not diagnosed, I think I had dengue fever. Had heard Jenny at N2theBlue talking about recovering from it, so knew about it. Since then, I've been pretty good about carrying and using repellent when we travel to places known for biting insects.

I somehow came across the deet free Bull Frog Mosquito Coast 30 spf sunscreen with insect repellent and found that it worked for me. Enjoy your trip, but use repellent.

Agreed - don't let Zika put you off. I'm in Central America now. As with what Richard has said - there has been issues with Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya for years now and the precautions you need to take are the same.
Just remember to cover up and use repellent and you'll be fine. For the no-see-ums, you'll need something that is a little oily - otherwise it'll be like they completely ignore the repellent.

My wife and I are are worried about Zika and are thinking about postponing dive travel this year. What do the rest of you think about the risk of Zika in the Caribbean, Bonaire, Honduras, TCI, etc? I saw a news report that Puerto Rico had over 700 cases so far. Scary.

May I ask --> postpone until when?
Zika won't be going away any time in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom