Zip neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have the zip neck seal for your drysuit? What have you found to be the pros and the cons?

I realize that the zip part of the seal can potentially dig into the shoulders. Is anyone finding this to be the case?

Thx.

I have a ginormous head. I cannot use a zip neck seal because the ring will not fit over my mellon. I have sold many suits with zip necks, a few people have commented that they noticed the ring on their shoulders at first, but quickly got used to it and now do not notice it at all.

I used to have it on one of my suits, and got rid of it. I can get my neck seal replaced same day if I need to, and the cost of the zip neck (like 110 dollars or whatever) meant that I rarely had a spare on hand.

I never used the zip feature, and I found the wrist rings interfered with stages when I was carrying a lot of them. All in all, its cool for traveling, but I just don't have the need for it.

I have the zip neck seal on my suit. The only problem I have with it is getting my head out of it after a dive. For some reason I can get my head into it, but squeezing my way back out can be a problem. I've never felt the ring on my shoulders, but I assume if your suit fits you properly, this shouldn't be an issue.

It is definitly a pain to get the seal zipped together in the first place, but once it is in you don't need to worry about it.

I also have the ginormous head issue, so I've never used a zip neck seal. My girlfriend has one on her suit. The pro is obviously that it takes a couple of minutes to change out the seal. I just asked her what she felt the downside was, and she said nothing, she loves it. But, I think the cost is a downside.

I have over 500 dives on my TLS with the neck zip seal and love it. I've never noticed the ring around the neck seal when compared to my backup with a conventional neck seal.

On getting your head out of the seal, perhaps it's a function of how tight it is for your neck or maybe a thin neck and big head? :D

Actually, if you haven't tried it already, get a spray bottle of diluted soapy water and squirt it on the neck seal, inside and outside, before doffing and your head will most likely slide out easily. It will also help wash your body oils off the seal and perhaps make the seal last longer.

Cost is a bit of a pain though.

I have the zip neck seal on my suit. The only problem I have with it is getting my head out of it after a dive. For some reason I can get my head into it, but squeezing my way back out can be a problem. I've never felt the ring on my shoulders, but I assume if your suit fits you properly, this shouldn't be an issue.

It is definitly a pain to get the seal zipped together in the first place, but once it is in you don't need to worry about it.

I have the Zip Neck and Wrist seals, and I don't have any real complaints. I did notice today that while on the surface when I have air in the suit (beginning of the dive), I notice the suit under my neck a bit more than without. A minor annoyance, but I'm getting used to it (I only have about 10 dives on it so far).

Mike

In what way?

The stiff ring would get caught on the boltsnap/rigging/d-ring. Something was going on, I couldn't see it to be 100% sure. More so when the bottles were floaty and getting to the left pocket.

I have a pretty narrow wrist, so it might just be more pronounced on me.

The stiff ring would get caught on the boltsnap/rigging/d-ring. Something was going on, I couldn't see it to be 100% sure. More so when the bottles were floaty and getting to the left pocket.

I have a pretty narrow wrist, so it might just be more pronounced on me.

Most of us out here in the colder waters in Monterey dive with dry gloves which I think would be more of a problem than the flexible zip seal rings of the wrist seals and I have yet to hear of someone complaining of it getting in the way of manipulating multiple deco bottles, etc on the left hip D-ring.

What may help is if someone would video you doing that so you can see what's getting caught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom